TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pets (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f119-pets/)
-   -   I want to make my dog a service dog (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f119-pets/t159402-i-want-make-my-dog-service-dog/)

JessaMay November 4th 2019 12:56 PM

I want to make my dog a service dog

So, I think my dog can be a service dog for my panic attacks as she will paw at me when I am not feeling right. She grounds me and makes sure that I don't panic even more. My mom doesn't think that she can be my service dog just for that. Is that true?

DeletedAccount69 November 5th 2019 01:50 AM

Re: I want to make my dog a service dog

There are psychiatric service animals who help people with psychiatric illnesses such as panic attacks. I've looked into it for my PTSD. It can be a lot of money to get them trained which is what ended up preventing me from doing it.

Dawn. November 6th 2019 06:37 AM

Hi JessaMay! :D

First of all, welcome to Teenhelp!

I would suggest looking more into it and do your research if you are serious about it. As Bibliophile mentioned, it can cost a bit of money but I would have a look around before making any decisions. Service dogs can be used for many different reasons if they help.

I hope I helped. If you need anything, feel free to message me. :)

JessaMay November 6th 2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disclosure. (Post 1345730)
Hi JessaMay! :D

First of all, welcome to Teenhelp!

I would suggest looking more into it and do your research if you are serious about it. As Bibliophile mentioned, it can cost a bit of money but I would have a look around before making any decisions. Service dogs can be used for many different reasons if they help.

I hope I helped. If you need anything, feel free to message me. :)

Thank you, I will look more into this and follow up. I appreciate everyone's help! :D

JessaMay November 6th 2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. (Post 1345691)
There are psychiatric service animals who help people with psychiatric illnesses such as panic attacks. I've looked into it for my PTSD. It can be a lot of money to get them trained which is what ended up preventing me from doing it.

That sucks. I really think a service dog could help me. Just having a large animal by my side would really calm me down when I have my attacks. I will research more.

DeletedAccount69 November 13th 2019 01:29 PM

There's also emotional support animals but they don't have the same rights as service dogs.

Service dogs are allowed in all public places and emotional support animals are not. From my understanding emotional support animals are only allowed in homes, apartments etc and when people travel on a plane etc.

JessaMay November 15th 2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. (Post 1345993)
There's also emotional support animals but they don't have the same rights as service dogs.

Service dogs are allowed in all public places and emotional support animals are not. From my understanding emotional support animals are only allowed in homes, apartments etc and when people travel on a plane etc.

I didn't know that service dogs and emotional support animals were not the same thing. Definitely something I need to research. Thank you!

DeletedAccount59 November 15th 2019 01:57 PM

No, service dogs and emotional support dogs are two very different things. Research the difference so you understand and know which one is better suited to your needs. If you want, you can reach out to friends or other trusted adults to see if they have had any experience with them or know of someone who has.

I used to go to a place that had an emotional support dog for patients while they waited for their appointment, she was a very sweet dog. But she wouldn't be the sort of dog to guide someone—such as a blind individual—through a crowded area. Her purpose is to calm people down and make them feel comfortable and at home.

Best of luck!

JessaMay November 18th 2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly. (Post 1346094)
No, service dogs and emotional support dogs are two very different things. Research the difference so you understand and know which one is better suited to your needs. If you want, you can reach out to friends or other trusted adults to see if they have had any experience with them or know of someone who has.

I used to go to a place that had an emotional support dog for patients while they waited for their appointment, she was a very sweet dog. But she wouldn't be the sort of dog to guide someone—such as a blind individual—through a crowded area. Her purpose is to calm people down and make them feel comfortable and at home.

Best of luck!

Thanks Butterfly! I am reaching out to a friend with an emotional support animal dog this week.

Arabesque- golfing girl. November 18th 2019 04:11 PM

Hello,

You we're talking about making you're dog a service dog. A service dog and therapy dog are not the same kind of dog. A service dog will start with a person as a puppy who does the training of sit, stay, come to the name, go outside to the bathroom. Then they go up another training and it keeps getting harder and they know everything. If they fail they have to do it all over again.

They are never allowed to be petted when they are in training in the different grocery stores or restaurants or wherever you are taking them because you are training them and they have a job to do. These dogs are trained to get the person whatever they need, answer the door, call 911 or answer the phone, get shoes or the wheelchair or walker or water. They go throw so much training and when a child or teenager or adult or elderly person is getting this dog, this dog is 100 percent ready for them. If they are blind or have trouble walking or whatever it maybe, the dogs are ready to help them.

A therapy dog also goes through training too, and they go to schools, nursing homes and help you to deal with loud noises and when you are getting scared, not sure what to do and they are going to help comfort you.

When you have a dog or even a cat, when you are scared or upset you can always hold them or sit next to them and pet them and they can help you to feel better soon. Pets know when we are having a hard time, so just being with them can help us to be okay soon. I also have this website that talks about service and therapy dogs if you would like to look at it when you have time.https://www.therapydogs.com/differen...s-service-dog/ I wish you the best with this.

DeletedAccount59 November 18th 2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessaMay (Post 1346252)
Thanks Butterfly! I am reaching out to a friend with an emotional support animal dog this week.

That's great, let us know how it goes if you want to. :)

Dawn. November 21st 2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessaMay (Post 1345748)
Thank you, I will look more into this and follow up. I appreciate everyone's help! :D

No problem! I hope you were able to find what you were looking for.

DeletedAccount59 November 24th 2019 12:23 PM

Hey there, I hope you were able to reach out to your friend to get more information. :)

JessaMay December 2nd 2019 05:37 PM

So I talked to my friend with an emotional support dog and researched a ton about service dogs. I learned that emotional support dogs can only live with you or fly inside of an airplane with you. They don't have to be fully trained, but they do have to be good on a leash and listen to you. You need a letter from a doctor in order qualify. More on getting a letter from a doctor for your dog here.

Service dogs have to be fully trained and can basically go anywhere with you. They are protected by the ADA laws here. You don't need a letter from a doctor and you don't have to register them, but some people do recommend a service dog registration here so you can identify it as a special animal. Also, I found out that you don't NEED a harness or vest when you go out with them.

I am looking to adopt a small to medium sized dog from my local shelter and getting them a letter for now while I look to train them. I can do it!

JessaMay December 2nd 2019 05:44 PM

Also, wanted to add that you can train your dog without a certified trainer. This makes it a bit harder, but I found some really great resources online and on Youtube to help with training.

Lamont Cyrus December 20th 2019 08:33 AM

I started to train my dog with an electric collar
she got used to it for a long time. and now it executes all the commands. I am very glad. But there you need to be careful. Do it right. So that the dog is not afraid.

JessaMay December 21st 2019 02:31 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of using a shock collar because I read somewhere that the dogs can become anxious and stressed. However, if your dog is well adjusted to it, then kudos!

esafamily January 12th 2020 09:00 AM

One-in-five Americans suffer from mental or emotional disability every year, and only a small fraction will ever seek help. Even then, 50% of Americans who do seek counseling for mental health issues experience numerous hurdles that makes it either difficult or entirely impossible to get the needed care.
Emotional Support Animals can provide those in need with a tremendous amount of comfort and assistance and the health benefits of ESA’s are very well documented. Which is why ESA Family is providing ease and discreet online access to mental health services for people experiencing emotional or psychological disability.

How so? We are a company which employs licensed therapist to provide quick and confidential assessments. These licensed therapists are going to determine if you are in need of an emotional support animal. If so, they provide you with a letter that grants you the legal authority to own and care for an emotional support animal.
I really appreciate you for your work. Emotional Support Animal letter. Keep posting such contents for us. Emotional Support Animal letter

ESA family is an independent organization, that provides services for independent mental health professionals and ESA holders. The bridge between the patient and the licensed mental health professionals who can write them a recommendation for an emotional support animal because our goal at ESA Family is to improve the quality of life for the millions of Americans.

JessaMay January 23rd 2020 06:18 AM

Airline lobbyists are trying to ban emotional support animals on airplanes. Please let them know that these animals are needed for people with disabilities and mental illnesses. People over profits!

You can submit a comment in the link below.

https://www.regulations.gov/

Click on:
Traveling by Air with Service Animals Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM)

then click "Comment" on the upper right.