TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Depression and Suicide (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/)
-   -   Dogs and Depression (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t159587-dogs-depression/)

JessaMay December 13th 2019 02:48 PM

Dogs and Depression

When I get in my moods, I really don't want to do anything or see anyone. I don't even want to get out of bed to eat sometimes. Does anyone else here with a dog and depression find it easier to get out of bed when it's for your best friend?

Dawn. December 14th 2019 03:47 AM

Re: Dogs and Depression

Hi there,

I do find that when it comes with animals, they love you unconditionally and I have more of a reason to get up in the mornings to feed them, take them for walks, etc. They give you more of a purpose in life and they truly are humans best friends.

Odyne December 14th 2019 06:05 AM

I feel like my dog saves me everyday. :)
It’s a speciel kind of love and happiness she gives me.
She has helped me a lot!

DeletedAccount59 December 14th 2019 05:08 PM

I think it's the unconditional love they have for their human that makes it easier for said human to get up and carry on, even if they are struggling with severe depression. It's knowing that there is a living, breathing creature that has you at the center of their entire universe that gives you the push.

I'm sorry you are struggling right now. Feel free to reach out for support or advice if you need to. :hug:

Celyn December 14th 2019 08:40 PM

Sorry to hear you struggle with depression. As said above, feel free to reach out for support on here or through live help or HelpLINK.

I don't have a dog but can imagine that a dog would help me to get out of bed. Not just because I know I'd have to feed and walk it but also because I think a dog would just boost my mood a bit- I love dogs :)

Arabesque- golfing girl. December 15th 2019 02:01 PM

Hello,

I am sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. When you have pets, you can have them lay down with you or you can sit down next to them and pet them. They will be right next to you so no matter what you are going through, they can help you to be okay soon.

I have two dogs and two cats, if I'm upset about school or something else I will always grab my cat and hold her for a while until I start to feel a little bit better. Or if she is sleeping, then I will go to one of my dogs and sit next to them or hug them or have them just be with me for a while. Pets can feel when we are having a hard time and want to be with us. They are lovely animals to have. I hope that you will be okay soon. Hugs to help.

JessaMay December 21st 2019 02:35 PM

Dogs really are the best. If you can't do it for yourself, sometimes it's much easier to do it for someone or something you love unconditionally. Happy holidays everyone!