TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pets (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f119-pets/)
-   -   Triggering (Grieving): My rabbit (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f119-pets/t163112-my-rabbit/)

Dawn. July 26th 2022 11:17 AM

My rabbit

So yesterday, my rabbit became unwell and unfortunately passed away while I was taking her to the vet. I feel awful. I never felt this amount of guilt before in my life even though I know it wasn't my fault and there wasn't much I could do. But I keep questioning myself and wondering what I could have done better. If she was with another owner, she would still be alive. My days now have become black and grey.

Ennui. July 26th 2022 10:11 PM

Re: My rabbit

I’m so sorry to hear about your rabbit. The thing with small animals is they tend to hide their illnesses until they’re pretty advanced, so it’s possible that happened here and you just wouldn’t have had a way of knowing. It’s not your fault and you did everything you could for your rabbit. You were taking her to the vet so you weren’t being neglectful!
I think questioning yourself is normal though. I still question myself sometimes about my dog and it’s been years. But it does get easier over time.
Maybe you can remember the nice times with her and let the funny memories make you laugh. You can even make a photo collage.
Don’t beat yourself up. You did what you could. :hug:

Dawn. July 27th 2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheek! (Post 1380442)
I’m so sorry to hear about your rabbit. The thing with small animals is they tend to hide their illnesses until they’re pretty advanced, so it’s possible that happened here and you just wouldn’t have had a way of knowing. It’s not your fault and you did everything you could for your rabbit. You were taking her to the vet so you weren’t being neglectful!
I think questioning yourself is normal though. I still question myself sometimes about my dog and it’s been years. But it does get easier over time.
Maybe you can remember the nice times with her and let the funny memories make you laugh. You can even make a photo collage.
Don’t beat yourself up. You did what you could. :hug:

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I just needed to hear some kind words right now. I'm going to print off a nice photo of her and put it in a frame. :)

Arabesque- golfing girl. July 30th 2022 09:22 AM

I'm sorry about your rabbit and I hope that you will be okay soon. If you have pictures, you can put them together in a scrapbook so that you can remember the times you had together. I hope that you will be okay soon. :hug: to help you to feel better soon.

Dawn. August 1st 2022 09:10 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. :hug:

Celyn August 12th 2022 10:59 AM

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. But I agree with Dez- it can be difficult to spot illness in small mammals until they show more obvious signs of illness. So I disagree that your rabbit would still be alive if she had another owner. You did the best you could and as soon as you realised your rabbit wasn't well, you went straight to the vets. There isn't any more that you could've done.

I agree with framing a nice photo of her though- that'll be something nice to remember her by :hug:

Dawn. December 26th 2022 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celyn (Post 1380746)
Sorry to hear about your rabbit. But I agree with Dez- it can be difficult to spot illness in small mammals until they show more obvious signs of illness. So I disagree that your rabbit would still be alive if she had another owner. You did the best you could and as soon as you realised your rabbit wasn't well, you went straight to the vets. There isn't any more that you could've done.

I agree with framing a nice photo of her though- that'll be something nice to remember her by :hug:

Sorry for the delay in replying...I only saw this now. Thank you for your kind words.