TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Cutting (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t106582-cutting/)

gingerowns3 July 19th 2012 10:45 PM

Cutting

So during Finals I started cutting myself. And its not that I'm even that sad or anything, and I don't like it it hurts a lot. I posted on here and was like oh its just cause I'm stressed because of finals its just a one time deal. and I did stop for a few weeks but then a few weeks ago I started again and I find myself looking forward to when I would be home alone so I could do it even though I really don't like it :( and its really starting to worry me....I don\'t know whats wrong with me.....

Chuuya July 19th 2012 10:52 PM

Re: Cutting

Hey there,

First of all, you need to be super proud of yourself for staying self harm free for a couple weeks. That\'s a huge achievement! Sometimes we self harm because we need to cope with things, I\'m not a professional and i\'m not you, so I can\'t tell you why you do it. But stress might be a contributing factor too. I recommend keeping a journal and when you feel like self harming, think about how you\'re feeling and what\'s going on. Write it down so you\'ll know later.

I also recommend talking to someone you trust about the self harm. I know it\'s kind of nerve racking, but it makes things a lot easier to have a support system and have a professional to help you and give you some answers that I think you want. If you\'re nervous can you write your parents a letter, talk to a friend, or a teacher or counselor. I know it\'s summer, but you can email, if you have that option also!

For the time being, when you\'re alone and don\'t have anyone around you, that you can talk to when you get the urges, call up a friend, or try some alternatives. Here\'s a really great list: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ Just go through and try to find a few that you think might work for you, but don't get discouraged if they don't because not all of them work for everyone! Just keep trying!

I hope this helped a bit, if you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to message me! You're not alone and you will get through this! Good luck and stay strong! :hug:

gingerowns3 July 19th 2012 11:03 PM

Thanks for the information, I went to a counselor a few times but it just didn't work out for me and I just feel like I don't have any friends that won't tell anyone or judge me for it. When I think about telling someone, it just makes me feel alone and like no one would understand...

Chuuya July 19th 2012 11:08 PM

Hey again,

If the counselor didn't work, you could always try a different one. Sometimes people get some counselors that just don't help with their certain problem or what they need help with. As for your friends, I know how you feel. It might be wise to talk to them and see if you can trust them and find one that you can. If you can't, you might try to find some new friends, who will help you and not judge you for it. You deserve someone to be there for you and support you. That's what friends are there for :)

I'm always here for you too :hehe: I hope this helped a little more!

BeautifulDisaster95 July 20th 2012 01:22 PM

I agree with Lauren try another counselour cause to be honest. Every counselour is different and it's okay to switch. :)

BlaineG. July 20th 2012 02:01 PM

Hello--

As I understand it you just started cutting. I would try to get into counseling immediately. Cutting is not the type of thing you want to go through alone. As long as you are a member here on TeenHelp you are not alone but we cannot be the only people giving you advise as we are not professionals. We offer many support tools such as HelpLINK and Live Help. I am a Live Help Operator so I can tell you that we are not professional.

Bottom line you really should look for a counselor if you have not already got one. Its important in recovery to maintain a support network so you can stay away from cutting.

Please know that you can PM me if you need to talk.