TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   family jokes about cutting.. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t118749-family-jokes-about-cutting/)

riceballs April 28th 2013 03:30 PM

family jokes about cutting..

Well, my first cut was in the beginning of grade 7, so 2011. And all of my friends went through a huge depression state at the same time for a couple months. It was great because we could all lean on each other in times that we needed, and everyone knew what the others were going through, you know?

So early 2012, I used to tell my mom when one of my friends were cutting, and needed me to just go over to their house and comfort them. She happily obliged. So I would go there, and on the way over to one of my friends houses, she asked me if I cut, because she didn't know that I do. I obviously lied and said no, because I don't know what she would do.. >.<

Last night at the dinner table, we were talking about how warm it has been where I live lately, because there was snow everywhere, then now, its like.. spring! *get on topic emma, jeezus*

Sorry, so anyways, my sister and I are gonna go for a walk later today to get some ice cream from a little shak that sells good food there later today, its definitely shorts weather, but my sister says that she doesn't like wearing shorts until its june. My mom then proceeded to say "What do you cut or something?" and then my dad started laughing.

Now there's no way in :censored: I can tell my parents about SH.. What if she laughs at me. What if she tells me that my life is too good to cut, and that I have no reason to.. She doesn't even know why. I cut as a punishment to myself when I get really anxious, or upset about something little.. So.. she wouldn't understand. I'm just really torn up, and I need help & someone to talk to.. :idk:

Skeleton April 28th 2013 03:44 PM

Re: family jokes about cutting..

Just because your parents seemed to make a joke out of it, doesn't mean if you told them, they'd do it then. It could have been an uncomfortable laugh because he didn't know what to say or they just might not have realised that it would upset you. If you feel that you can, you should talk to them but maybe mention that because your friend cut, you know that it's serious and don't view it as a joke so when they made a joke of it, you didn't appreciate it so they know and hopefully won't do it in the future.

If you need someone to talk to, my PM box is always open.

riceballs April 28th 2013 03:51 PM

Thank you so much, I might tell her in the near future. ^w^

Catharsis. April 28th 2013 06:16 PM

Hi there, Emma :)

I don't think they would make a joke about it if they knew you self-harmed. People usually don't realise how serious an issue SH is until they are directly affected by it. However, if they knew you self-harmed, it would probably change their outlook on it.

It's great that you're going to tell them. That can be a massive step in getting help for it. I hope it all goes well when you do so. Take care. c:

Digit. April 28th 2013 06:34 PM

Most times when people respond improperly to things it's because of ignorance.

I feel if you tell your parents they will realize how serious the issue is and change. If they knew you cut then they wouldn't have said those things. Your parents care for you and wouldn't say anything to hurt you. :)

Feel free to PM/VM me at anytime if you wanna talk i'm usually always on. :)

P.S. I'm proud your going to tell them. :thumbsup:

hocus pocus April 29th 2013 04:36 PM

Like Jason said, jokes like that come from ignorance. And ignorance comes from misunderstandings. Maybe your parent's aren't educated about the topic and they're nervous about it so they just laugh about it. My parents have also made jokes to try to get me to laugh about it.

Don't let this discourage you from telling your parents, though. I'm sure they would definitely change their mindset once they find out that their child is suffering.

riceballs April 29th 2013 09:56 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling a lot better about the whole situation now!