TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   self harm? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t124995-self-harm/)

samrose25 October 23rd 2013 08:09 PM

self harm?

is picking at your skin on your fingers like peeling I and stuff self harm ive always been doing it and now im worried cause I recently started scratching my arm with my nail

Azure. October 23rd 2013 08:48 PM

Re: self harm?

Hi there! :welcome: to teenHelp!
Do you know why you are doing this? Is it just out of habit, or is it to intentionally cause harm to yourself? Do you use it to cope? Try looking at this link. It explains what is considered self harm. Anyway, behaviors that cause harm to your body are never good things to continue. You should try looking at this link next time you are thinking about doing this. It contains alternatives which are very helpful to distract yourself:)

If you ever need to talk, feel free to message me. I wish you all the best:)

in_recovery October 23rd 2013 10:42 PM

Hello there,

Welcome to teenhelp! I hope you're finding the support that you're looking for.

Like the person above me said, causig harm to your body isn't very healthy at all. I would suggest looking at the links they posted, and also maybe consider talking to someone about what you have told us.

Ennui. October 23rd 2013 11:33 PM

Hey there,

Is it out of a bad habit that you are peeling the skin, or is it to intentionally cause harm to yourself? Anything that is used to deliberately cause yourself harm to cope (such as if you KNOW picking the skin on your fingers is going to harm you but you intentionally do it in order to cope with what's going on) can be considered self harm. I know that I also have an issue with picking the skin on my scalp, but since I don't do it to intentionally harm myself, I don't consider it self harm. However, it can still be unhealthy and lead to damage to my scalp, so I know I should stop. Scratching your arm with your nail definitely can be considered self harm, though.

The first thing that may help you stop is trying to figure out why you do it? Do you notice yourself peeling or scratching your arm at certain times, for instance, or when you're feeling a certain way? Some people pick at or bite the fingernails because they are anxious or nervous, for instance. If you are unsure of why you may be peeling and scratching like this, maybe one thing you can do is keep a journal. In it you can document when you have the urge to pick, peel, or scratch, or when you actually take part in these acts. Take note of the date and time it happened, where you were, what was going on, and how you felt. Note whether you picked or not. Then, you can look back and try and find patterns or events that may be triggers for the peeling. From there, you may be able to put alternatives in place to combat it.

The second link Nal gave you, the alternatives to self harm link, is a great place to start in order to find things you can do in place of picking, scratching, or peeling. For instance, if you notice yourself picking or peeling, you can do something else with your hands, like write, draw, or squeeze a stress ball. If those aren't good for you, try another alternative! There are plenty there, and you'll find one for you!

If, when going through a journal or identifying your triggers, anything stands out for you such as being too stressed or a personal problem, you can also seek support in order to try and solve those problems. For instance, you can ask us how to solve them, or speak to a friend, family member, teacher, school guidance counselor, school nurse, doctor, therapist, coach, club adviser, or someone else you trust. They can also give you ways to cope.

You can do this!

-Dez