TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): Thinking about Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t126375-thinking-about-self-harm/)

KimmyKitty December 6th 2013 10:10 PM

Thinking about Self Harm

Okay well i guess I'll just say it, I have self harmed in the past, cutting is the thing i used to do. i no longer self harm at all. its been 5 months since ive self harmed. but the thing is, ive been thinking about it a lot recently. i dont want to do it at all, but for some reason every time the word self harm gets in my mind, i get these very triggering images in my head. of like someone cutting there wrist and accidently cutting there veins and bleeding out and dying. and i dont know what to do. it has happened many times at home and at school. and i would start to panic and it triggers me very much. i dont know how to get these thoughts and images out of my head. i have no idea why i this comes into my mind during the day, considering that i dont even SH anymore

Philomath December 6th 2013 11:52 PM

Re: Thinking about Self Harm

Hi Kimberly,

I understand how frustrating this can be. I have been without self harm for as long as you have actually and I have the same problem.
The best thing I can think of to do is keep focused on what you are doing and let the thoughts just be thoughts. Keep reminding yourself that just because you are thinking of harming does not mean you have to. The thoughts will go away because that is all they are and they do not mean you have to act or anything.
They are difficult to get rid of but with time I think this will get easier.
If you talk to a counselor or therapist, you can ask them what to do about this and they may have more suggestions that may be useful to you.
Take care and you can PM me if you would ever like to talk.

ItsJazzBitch December 8th 2013 12:19 AM

I've been clean from SH for a little less time than you have been but I have the same issue; what I do it I think about how hard i worked to get clean and how had I've worked to stay clean this long and normally that helps, when it doesn't, i take a rubber band and snap it on my wrist and it makes me feel better for a while

Pirouette December 8th 2013 12:43 AM

Hey Kimberly,
First off, Congratulations of being self-harm free for 5 months. That's very amazing, and keep it up. :) I think these thoughts that you are having are normal for SHers who have struggled with it in the past and is in the process of recovering. Whenever you are having thoughts, try to think positive about how you've remained SH free for this long. Take a look at this list of alternatives to self-harm. There are many wonderful ways listed there and I'm sure there's something there that could help you. Be strong, and if you need to talk, feel free to PM/VM me anytime. :hug: