TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering: should i tell my teacher I USED to self harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t127890-should-i-tell-my-teacher-i-used-self-harm/)

lovastop January 18th 2014 02:41 PM

should i tell my teacher I USED to self harm

So here's the thing I' ve been self Harming for almost 3 years now but it now makes 30 days that Im clean but sometimes its hard and i really trust my science teacher and she's always been there for me and i think she already knows something since everyday after class she asks if Im okay So should i tell her if yes how?

Thx for your answers:p:)

Ennui. January 18th 2014 02:46 PM

Re: should i tell my teacher I USED to self harm

Hey there,

First of all, congratulations on being 30 days clean! That's a huge accomplishment! I also want to say that it is amazing that you have a teacher who you can trust and that has been there for you! That's really amazing and I am glad you have someone like her around. I think that it would be okay to tell her, either through the form of a letter or by telling her verbally.

Maybe the next time you see her after class, you can ask if the two of you can talk in private. Then you can explain that you have been self harming for about three years but you are 30 days clean and you think those days are behind you (that's what I'm getting from you saying USED to self harm), but you feel as if you still would like the support around you since on some days it still gets hard. It can help you out a lot to be honest with her about what's going on so she knows how she can help, and maybe it would be useful to plan out what you are going to say to her, such as through writing an outline, so you make sure all your key points are gotten out.

Another option would be to tell her in a letter or email. Again you can get out the key points you want to say, such as some of the ones I suggested in the previous paragraph. If you want, you can also add details to this letter, explaining some of the key points a bit. Then, hand her the letter or deliver the email. You two will still probably end up discussing what is written, but at least you will have out your main points without nerves or interruptions getting in the way.

I think your best bet is to be honest with her about what's going on, though. That is how she will be able to give you the best support!

I just want to say that it takes loads of courage to go to someone about something like this, so you are doing really amazing for considering it. I hope that you do end up telling her and that she can become a really great support system for you while you continue your recovery. You can do this!

-Dez

Its.Just.Angie January 18th 2014 02:54 PM

First off congrats on your 30 days clean! :) To me it is a good idea to tell her about it. Sometimes good to let all out. Even when it's hard times you are going through its good o let it all out.

I would say (I never done this before so idk what's the best) just say can I speak to for a minute or Can I tell you something important whenever you have the time. The chances are she will say yes or something like that. Or is she asks you if you are ok then be honest and say no, can I tell you something alone? Then when she asks what's up just say it directly it's a lot easier to just say it and not to make it complicated! :) (speaking from experience)

Other than that it is a really good and brave thing of you to do! :) I never had the courage to say something about SH to an audult. Someone was suspicious of me SH and told the school councelor and then they found out from there! :) but still I'm proud of you for even considering it! ;) Good luck for whatever choice you do! :)

einstein's dog January 20th 2014 01:00 AM

congrats on 30 days clean! that's so good! :D

if you trust her then go for it! it feels so much better to tell someone, like a mahoosive weight has been lifted off your shoulders :)

you could tell her in person after your lesson or arrange to see her in a break, or you could email her or pass her an envelope with a note in and write on it 'to be opened in private, this is confidential' or something? there's plenty of ways you could tell her :)

i wish you the best of luck and this is so brave! :) *hugs* <3

lovastop January 20th 2014 02:04 AM

Thx Everyone for your replies i'll go talk to her on tuesday wish me luck
Stay strong:D:)

jlh528 January 20th 2014 02:28 PM

It's worth noting that when you tell a teacher, if they believe you are in any sort of danger they are obligated to tell either a counselor or social worker in your school to notify your parents. If they already no this is no big deal, however if they do not know they may find out as a result whether or not you are ready to tell them.

Its.Just.Angie January 20th 2014 02:50 PM

Good luck for you on Tuesday then! ;) I hope all goes well!

lovastop January 21st 2014 02:56 AM

I actually went to see her today and actually she said she already knew it but she wanned me to tell her when i was ready and that she respects my decision if i dont wanna see the student council

Ennui. January 21st 2014 03:01 AM

I'm so glad that everything went well! :) I'm sure she can at least be a support system for you!

The Only Exception January 21st 2014 03:04 AM

That's awesome that you told her! It's great to hear that everything went smoothly! Hopefully she'll be a fantastic support system for you.
Continue to stay strong and keep us updated! :hug: