TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   cutting (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t140744-cutting/)

The_Doctors_Wolf September 25th 2015 02:40 PM

cutting

Yes I'm a cutter I'm almost 14 and I've done self harm since I was 10 and cutting since I was 12 I want to stop but it's very hard because the first thing I do when I'm upset is reach for the razor. When I was suicidal and told my parents they screamed at me and dared me to do it right there as I cried. The only reason I didn't is because I was too afraid. Now I'm a cutter and still depressed and no one knows what's really going on. I'm very scared my parents will find out because they will react badly. I've been hiding my cuts very well and nobody knows that I have been cutting. I'm not doing it for attention and I don't know how to stop I've heard tons of bad parents found out about my cutting stories. can someone please help me?

Green Yoshi September 26th 2015 04:39 PM

Re: cutting

Moon :hug:

i think that what you need to do is to think positively, and to not overthink things. I also want you to tell me what really happened. because i get the feeling something triggered your cutting. But that's in the past. I just think that you need someone to rant to, and some positive outlets for your feelings.

For example, you could keep a diary, and you should definitely be honest. And i suggest talking to a counselor or an expert over this matter. There should be some hotlines or some experts around your area that you could talk to. Is there anyone that you can confide in? :hug: :hug:

Also, another reminder. i'll always be here to support you too. I know how tough it is, but it's also something you can beat. We'll always be here for you. :) :hug: i don't judge!

DeletedAccount11 September 27th 2015 08:29 AM

Re: cutting

Hi there! :)

Sounds like you're really struggling and don't know who to turn to. I'm really sorry you're struggling with this and also that your parents had such a negative reaction the first time they found out about your self-harm. That must have been really hard for you.

Sadly, a lot of negative reactions that you read and perhaps even your own experience usually stem from the person(s) not understanding self-harm. It doesn't mean your parents don't love you and aren't concerned, they were just most likely unsure of how to process and handle the situation. Therefore their reaction wasn't the best way they could have handled it. However, what about finding ways to help them understand? If you feel up to that, it might be beneficial. You can sit down with them when they're fairly calm and explain self-harm and how it can become an unhealthy habit to say the least. To better help them understand you can also print out articles explaining self-harm.

I believe you; I don't think you're doing it for attention. Do you want to talk about why you began self-harming in the first place though? You're welcome to share that if you're comfortable because we're happy to listen and getting things off your chest can be helpful. On that note, would it help if you had other ways of expressing your feelings? When you feel like self-harming due to difficult emotions, can you look for healthier ways to put that negative energy into? There's quite a few things like journaling, poetry, writing short stories/songs, drawing, painting etc.

Distractions and things to keep you busy especially when you're having urges would be a good idea. I suggest taking a look at the self-harm alternatives list. When you are having urges it might help to do something time-consuming that can relax you and help you process your thoughts/feelings until the urges pass. Things like coloring, painting, a jigsaw puzzle and even doodling. Those are just examples. Taking walks and resorting to enjoyable hobbies along can be rather refreshing.

Setting goals for yourself might help you go a longer period of time self-harm free. It can be small goals such as one week then go for two weeks and so on. Just see how far you can get and make sure you keep in mind that each day and each urge you get through self-harm free matters. It all contributes to your recovery. Rewarding yourself with something could be a good idea too. Maybe when you reach a goal you can buy yourself something you've wanted for awhile as motivation?

You can recover because even though it must be really hard, you're stronger than you know. Hold on and stay strong.