TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Self Harm Thoughts (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t150116-self-harm-thoughts/)

Angeal February 24th 2017 02:37 PM

Self Harm Thoughts

I'm at a point in my life where I just want to self harm again. I've been 2 years without Self Harming, but for the past few months that's all I've been able to think about is cutting myself, and I don't know what to do. I don't have anybody I can talk to, and I'm just to point of giving up.

hocus pocus February 24th 2017 02:44 PM

Re: Self Harm Thoughts

Congratulations on your two years self-harm free! That's amazing. I am really sorry to hear you're struggling right now, though.

You said you haven't been able to stop thinking about it; it sounds like you could be obsessing about it and it can be really hard to get it out of your mind sometimes. Do you know what is making you feel like harming yourself? Maybe you can see if you can figure out what is currently triggering you so you can work on it, thus decreasing your urges to self-harm.

Another thing to think about is what you're looking for in wanting to self-harm. Do you know what you're looking to achieve from it? Is it a release, a way to numb your emotions, or something else? If you know what you're looking for, you can kind of pick alternatives based on that.

What alternatives worked for you in the past? Did you have any favorite ones? Maybe you can try those out again, and if they don't work, you could always look for new ones. Anything that is healthy and keeps you safe, even if only for a few minutes, can be beneficial.

You said you have no one to talk to and that can be rough but I hope posting here helped. Maybe you can blog or journal your feelings, or write letters as though you're talking to someone about what you're going through. That way you can release your feelings.

Palmolive February 25th 2017 09:50 PM

Hi there.

Thank you for coming to us here for some help. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time and I am glad you have reached out for help because you don't deserve to be alone in it.

I think it is honestly really amazing that you have gone that length of time with out self harming and that is something you should be really proud of because it is you who has done. It is you who has put in all the hard work to stay in control of the urges and who hasn't acted. You are self harm free because you have worked hard and its an amazing achievement.

Has anything happened recently to trigger of these horrible urges to harm yourself? It sounds like they are rather intense and I am just wondering whether something has happened or is happening or maybe there is someting you are worried about or that is playing on your mind. If there isn't then that is okay but I just wanted you to know if there is something and you would like to talk to us about it then you are more than welcome to and we will always be here to listen and to try and help you as best as we can. We care about you and want to help in anyway. We won't ever judge you either.

I am also wondering what you feel you will gain from self harming? Many people who self harm hurt themselves for different reasons. Not everyone does it for the same reason. What do you feel you will gain from engaging in self harm?

I know it is really hard for you right now but you are worth so much more than self harm and you honestly do not deserve to hurt yourself in anyway. Have you tried using distractions and alternatives? I know it can get tiring but it is something I really want to encourage you to do. I am not going to lie and say everything will help because not everything will but there will be things that do help you so its about trial and error and finding the things that do help you and not giving up on everything when something doesn't work.

And just remember you are not alone in this either. So many people love and care about you including us here at Teenhelp. I would hate you to struggling in silence alone so please know you can always come to us. We're here to help and we are more than happy to do our best to help you.

Hope and wishes.
Jessie

Angeal March 1st 2017 02:56 AM

My dad is making me give all three of our digs away. We gave one away yesterday and by Friday the other two, both if which I am really close to will be gone. The one we gave away was 5 months, and the other two are 4 and 6. And just two months ago my bestfriend said she only wanted to be friends and hasn't spoken to me since then.

hocus pocus March 1st 2017 03:20 AM

I am really sorry you have to give your dogs away. I love my animals and I can't imagine having to part with them. Do you know anything about the people you're giving them to? Maybe you can try reminding yourself that your dogs are going to a good home; they'll be loved by their new families and they will always be loved by you as well.

Maybe you can do something in honor of them, like a scrapbook or a few framed pictures. I know that spending time with animals and caring for them gives a healthy purpose that benefits emotional struggles. Perhaps you can keep yourself busy so you can have a similar sense of fulfillment.

You said your friend hasn't talked to you in two months. Have you tried talking to her recently? Perhaps she wants to talk to you but she isn't sure how to go about doing that. Sometimes initiating a conversation can help renew the spark of a friendship. You could try texting, calling, or emailing her to see how she's doing.

Angeal March 10th 2017 02:10 PM

Hi, thanks to all that have commented, an update, we did give the two dogs away, we still have one dog and our cat. The homes that they have went to are good homes, and their doing good, and fitting in perfectly. I know one of the new owners personally and the other I wasn't able to meet due to me being in school, though she has kept me updated.

But the thoughts are still there. I've made a new friend at work, and we both like each other, but people keep going behind me and telling him bad things about me, so this isn't helping with the self harm thoughts, and it's making me even more depressed and has triggered my social anxiety even more, where I don't even want to go anywhere, but I'm still going to work and school, though it's really hard for me to do so.
I was doing better until this, because he keeps asking me and telling me that people are saying things behind my back about what I've said about him when he's not around, and it's just all becoming too much, because I've opened up to him more than I have most people in my life.

Joacimbssn March 10th 2017 03:21 PM

First of all, great job with the 2yrs!! And I'm very sorry that your dad is making you give up the dogs.... It's just a bit sad that you are thinking about cutting yourself lately.. Just try to think about good things or calming things.. Preoccupy yourself, eat, watch movies, go out. :) There are always people here that are willing to help you and you can talk with... :) Stay strong, you got this.