TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Telling my parents gone wrong (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t154057-telling-my-parents-gone-wrong/)

Blue the book fox November 30th 2017 03:29 AM

Telling my parents gone wrong

Well, guys today I told my moms and let's just say it did not go well....

They completely flipped out first they called my a spoiled brat saying there is no reason for me to cut ( yes they know about my anger issues) then they said I am doing for attention then they pulled me out of student council ( the only good thing at school) and now I'm not allowed to be alone at all I can't even go to the bathroom alone anymore and I now have to share a room with my little sister
I just don't know what to guys I knew they would react but I didn't think this way!

Sorry about my ranting

DeletedAccount63 November 30th 2017 06:59 AM

Re: Telling my parents gone wrong

Hey,

I am so sorry that they reacted so badly. Most people who have never self-harmed themselves or have been exposed to it, do not understand it at all. So when parents hear that their child is self-harming they have no clue how to proccess that so they either blame themselves for being a bad parent or blame they child.

What your parents are doing by not letting you be alone isn't all that uncommon. They are probably really concerned about your safety and this is the only way they can think of to help you. I know it may seem like they are punishing you but try to look at this from their point of view. If your child was doing this to themselves what would you do? Pulling you out of student council isn't what I would do, because to me it sounds like I am being punished because of poor coping skills. I would sit them down and ask them if you could get some therapy and if they say yes, maybe have your therapist talk to them about how they can help, and what to do and not to do.

I would suggest that you check out THIS thread it is alternatives to do instead of self-harming. There is a lot of them on the list and they will not all work. So I would be patient and try to stick it out and find the ones that work for you.

If you ever need to talk, I am just a PM/VM away.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Arabesque- golfing girl. December 3rd 2017 04:53 PM

Hello,
I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now. You did a great job telling you're parents about this and I am truly sorry that it went like this. When people are self harming a lot of times other people do not always really understand what is going on with you and why you are doing this. Can you try talking with you're school counselor and letting them know that you are having a hard time with this and how you told you're parents and what is going on now? You can also ask them if they can try talking with you're parents too and see if you all can find a way to help you with this in a way that's helpful.

When you get the feeling to self harm, try going for a walk because this can help you think of other things and you can have music with you also. Put on a funny movie too to make you laugh also. The website up about is great too, look at that also. I hope that it gets better for you soon. Hugs.

LonelyRazor December 4th 2017 05:07 AM

I'm glad you told your parents. They could just be so blind sighted by it they don't know how to react so they are just trying things to get you to stop. They most likely mean well for you. It's just they probably have never had to deal with something like this before so they are confused on what to do and trying there best.

Lonelyrazor