TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   What's wrong with cutting? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t61514-whats-wrong-cutting/)

Rainydaywriter23 December 8th 2010 10:34 PM

What's wrong with cutting?

Me and my friend have both been cutting for a few years each now, and I tried to make her stop. She said she would if I did, and that lasted for a few months and then she slipped and cut. At first I was mad at her for breaking a promise, but as I was talking to her, she asked "What's wrong with cutting anyways? You and I both know it's the only thing that works for us." So that got me to thinking, if you aren't attempting to kill yourself in the process, what's wrong with cutting? Why is it such a bad thing? Cutting is the only thing that makes me feel human. Why is it that something that can help so much is seen as such a terrible thing?

noise94 December 8th 2010 11:10 PM

Re: What's wrong with cutting?

Everything is wrong with cutting. Harming yourself, even though you feel it helps, is not normal behaviour and that's why it's not viewed as a good thing. It shows a lack of healthy coping skills. It's NOT the only thing that will help. It may seem like it now, but there are better ways of dealing with life. Cutting yourself, even though you're not attempting to seriously harm yourself, is dangerous. It's harmful and things go wrong. You could slip and go too deep, you could cut in the wrong place, you could pick up an infection no matter how careful you are. There was a point when I thought the way you do, but I've realized there's nothing good about cutting. You have to find other ways to deal with your emotions, other ways to make yourself feel good- cutting is not the solution.

Doodle. December 8th 2010 11:20 PM

I agree with what Nicola says. Also, you must have some deeper psychological problems going on if you feel the need to cut. Harming yourself is not good psychologically or physically.

TiredBrownEyes December 9th 2010 12:42 AM

Personally, it dumps a whole lot of guilt on me. And the shame I'd have if people found out? The infections that are possible, the one slip of going to deep or in the wrong place.. And the scars it can leave.

You must have seen something wrong with it before, when you promised you wouldn't do it for your friend? Regardless, it's not safe or healthy.

Maloo December 9th 2010 12:54 AM

Because it doesn't really help. It feels like it helps at the time, but it doesn't.

There are underlying things that need to be taken care of if you're cutting, and those are the things that need to be fixed. Cutting can't fix those things.