TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Cutting cause I'm tired??? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t61928-cutting-cause-im-tired/)

Blair December 13th 2010 10:34 PM

Cutting cause I'm tired???

I haven't slept in over a week. I was dragging in school today. A cup of coffee and three red bulls did nothing. So for some reason I pulled out a safety pin a d cut 9 scratches in my leg. It woke me up. I've never cut for that reason before. Anyone else do that? Is it normal to SI when tired as a 'wakeup'?

Anala December 14th 2010 12:26 AM

Re: Cutting cause I'm tired???

Have you ever cut before?

Don't quote me on this, but I think the pain that you've inflicted on yourself has kinda perked up your body. I dunno if that was obvious or not.

Other than that, I have no idea. I cut to keep my emotions in check, but I have tried cutting before to wake myself up. It didn't work as my body is pretty use to the pain.

I hope you get some sleep Blair. Sleep is always good for you.

Blair December 14th 2010 12:43 AM

I cut alot to help my emotions too. But today I just thought that sting could be an energizer

Philomath December 14th 2010 12:58 AM

I'm not really sure, I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I can tell you that when you did that, you released endorphins in your brain, chemicals that are released during physical activity, so that probably is what woke you up, the rush of the endorphins in your brain.
If you haven't slept in a week, that's worrisome, you really need to go to sleep, your body needs rest and keeping it up with Redbull and Coffee won't help you out physically. Your body not responding to the sugar and caffine rush you gave it was a sign that you need to sleep. Sleep is crucial for many parts of your activity in life, if you don't sleep, you will get really tired and your functioning can decrease and you could be endangering yourself a lot more than you think.
If you ever need anything, I'm here quite a bit so you can PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Storyteller. December 14th 2010 05:23 AM

Hi there.

While I've never self harmed for that reason, I did find that when I was cutting, it made me feel more awake.

Of course, if that's the reason you cut, the obvious answer would be to get more sleep so you're not tired in the first place. If you're having trouble sleeping, you could talk to your doctor and try and figure out the reason.

Good luck!

Sleepwalker December 14th 2010 05:49 AM

That's interesting. Cutting usually helps me sleep easier, not stay awake. Although I suppose that makes sense that it would energize you.

But I agree with what the others have said - you really should get some sleep. It's not good for your body to be pumped with so much sugar and caffiene and get so little actual rest.

z3r0slip December 17th 2010 05:42 AM

ive done it when i was tired, it wake u up yea but its unhealthy. one time i cut and it made me awake and high even. i felt like i had just shot something up, it went on for 2 days. this shit can do weird stuff to ya

Evanescent December 18th 2010 05:51 AM

I have never self-harmed for that reason before but I think that the release of endorphins is probaby what gave you some energy. Do you know the reason you aren't sleeping?

Blair December 18th 2010 05:57 PM

I'm not able to shut off my mind. I can't stop thinking especially at night when it's quiet and I'm alone with my thoughts