TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Non-PG13 (Strong Language): cutting? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t65986-cutting/)

waiting.in.the.wings February 2nd 2011 12:31 AM

cutting?

i scrape...really hard...so that it leaves red marks and scabs the day after.
i don't know whats wrong with me...it just makes me feel better!!
i feel so fucked up saying this, but it makes me feel 10000x better!!
it gives me this feeling like......im in control or something

i don't know if this is cutting or not, because it doesn't really bleed or anything...(only one time)

HELP!! MY LIFE IS SO FUCKING MESSED UP!!!

Philomath February 2nd 2011 01:04 AM

Re: cutting?

Hi Tori,

I don't believe that scraping is considered cutting, it is a form of self harm though. I think you should try alternatives, TH has a rather long list of alternatives: www.teenhelp.org/alternatives Some of them might sound weird or as if they won't work, but try them out, you won't know what can help you distract yourself until you try. Let me know if anything helps or you need anymore advice, I'll be more than glad to help. :) You can PM me if you want to.

Irinya February 2nd 2011 01:54 AM

Hey there Tori,

It doesn't matter if it "counts" as cutting or not. What matters is that you're not crazy or fucked up, and that it is a form of self-harm.

Like cz already mentioned above, please take a look at the list of alternatives to self-harm. You will almost definitely find one on the list that will work, and is significantly better than cutting, scraping, any form of SH.

Please hang in there. Stay strong.

Feel free to PM either of us if you ever need to talk. :hug:

XHaters_Make_me_famousX February 9th 2011 06:39 PM

i do the same thing. know it's not a good thing but yeah it is self harm not exactly cutting
i have scabs all over my left arm and hand.

Evanescent February 10th 2011 01:15 AM

I don't think it really matters whether it's considered cutting or not, what matters is that it is a form of Self-harm. As the others have said try some of the alternatives, when you find one that doesn't help throw that one out and try the next one. If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me.

Kitty. February 10th 2011 05:11 PM

Hey,

Scraping is definitely a form of Self-harm. Whether or not it counts as cutting is debatable, but scraping definitely isn't a good idea. You aren't crazy or fucked up at all. Have you tried any alternatives to cope with the urges?
Click here for a list of alternatives.

I'm glad that you have come forward and told us about this so that we can support you and help. I'm always here if you need anything.

Take care,
Kitty.

Kumagoro February 10th 2011 05:18 PM

Hey Tori,

Scraping is self-harm; if you are causing yourself pain to feel better or in control, it's self-harm. Some types of self-harm are more dangerous than others, some are less dangerous, but that doesn't mean they are good ways of coping because they all carry the risk of dependency. Don't be ashamed of it, but try to find alternatives that won't cause you pain; you don't deserve to be hurt and you can be in control without hurting yourself.

Take care. <3