TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Telling about cutting?!?! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t69722-telling-about-cutting/)

jhor March 19th 2011 02:54 PM

Telling about cutting?!?!

Okay so tonight I was going to tell my best friend that I cut and I was thinking about it for a long time and all of a sudden I decided that i CAN'T tell her. Like, no way not gonna happen no. I've never told any one before. I can't do this. I'll freeze up she'll think I'm stupid or something. What if she tells someone? I have no idea what I'm going to do now. If I don't tell her tonight I don't think I'll ever get another chance to and then I might regret or maybe it's better she dosen't know and I have no idea what to think. Does ANYONE have any advice at all?

Riddikulus March 19th 2011 03:07 PM

Re: Telling about cutting?!?!

Hey,
I know it seems hard but you can do it, she won't think your stupid - she is your best friend. You should talk to her about it so she can understand, people who don't understnad self harm may react badly to begin with, this is usually because they are worried and don't know what to say and do. Sit her down and explain, also ask her not to tell anyone; she should respect your wishes.
If you ever want to talk, feel free to PM me,
Talk care and stay strong,
Charli :-)

Paaaul March 19th 2011 03:59 PM

I've only told two people that I've cut in the past. Both times they were more concerned about me rather than going off and telling other people - make sure you know that they will understand what you're going through and help rather than spread it around.

I'm here if you need someone to talk to :)

Troubled_Heart March 19th 2011 04:25 PM

I could only find it in me to tell one friend, the friend I trust the most, even though she may not be the one I get on with most. I know she won't tell because she knows that when I'm ready I will stop. She understands, I explained it and she listened. On many occasions I have tried to tell my mum I cut, but each time I froze and couldn't do it, she's seen them but I lied, that was perfect timing but I couldn't do it, but trust me, when someone knows it's so much nicer, I felt pressure be released and it means when I'm at school I can escape the awkwardness. But she is your best friend. She will understand and be there to support you, she will care about you and therefore do what she can to support you and if you don't want her to tell, she won't.

PM me if you want to talk. <3

tamz March 20th 2011 11:53 PM

Hey lovely,

I know it probably feels very hard to say those words. I think you've got to be fairly confident that she will understand - it can be pretty bad to have someone react badly. That said, the majority of the time people will only react badly because they don't understand it. Maybe you could print off an article about self harm - help her understand it better? If you can't actually say those words, maybe you could write it down, tell her you need to talk to her about something important and it's really hard for you to say it and then hand her the note?

Best of luck and take care :)

Storyteller. March 21st 2011 01:31 AM

Hey Gabrielle.

Since you seem to have made your decision and told your friend, I'm going to close this thread.

PM me if you disagree. :)