TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/)
-   -   what is a disability? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/t120830-what-disability/)

frostie June 27th 2013 05:46 PM

what is a disability?

What is a disability? What is classed as a disability?

Kate* June 27th 2013 06:05 PM

Re: what is a disability?

Hey Alice, I think it depends on what definition you want. Are you asking opinions on what people think a disability is/means or are you asking what is legally considered a disability? or something else?

frostie June 27th 2013 06:41 PM

I didn't know whether what I have is a disability, raynauds. Basically if someone says you're disabled I don't know whether to say yes or no.

justdatdude June 27th 2013 06:59 PM

Well, Alice I dont think Raynaud's count for a disability.

Because you can't apply for a Disability allowance for it, and can't be technically classed as "Disabled" Well i'm only going on a Forum,that i'm reading so don't take it 100%

But i don't think it classes as a disability.

Rivière June 27th 2013 08:06 PM

A disability is something that disables you from doing something. Take someone who's in a wheelchair. They're in the wheelchair because they can't. Whatever thy have, it disables them from walking. Others can include blindness, being deaf, cognitive problems and so on.

Raynaud's I wouldn't class as a disability, however, I think it depends on the severity. If it impairs you from doing day-to-day activities then yes I think it could be considered as it's just that severe.

As I'm a sufferer of Raynaud's I have to make sure that my body temperature is kept to a certain degree otherwise white to blue hands and feet begin to emerge. Simply wearing enough to keep warm can prevent this and therefore if thre's any decision to try and claim disability allowance, the government won't pay out because the problem is in my control. It's also just a matter of common sense not to walk out in colder temperatures in just t-shirt and jeans or so on. Raynaud's is in itself, an allergic reaction to the cold. Keep warm and the reaction doesn't happen. Just like someone who has an allergy to nuts. If they don't eat them, there's no reaction.

Unless your Raynaud's is so severe and that there's no physical way for you to keep your body temperature to a certain degree then it may be classed as a disability but again, it's just a matter of keeping warm and then it prevents it.

Saoirse June 27th 2013 08:41 PM

On a technical, professional level: There is such thing as a disability.

But in my eyes and many others where I live, no "disability" is seen as a disability. Just a challenge to overcome.

frostie June 27th 2013 09:15 PM

Ok, thanks =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTides (Post 1041993)
A disability is something that disables you from doing something. Take someone who's in a wheelchair. They're in the wheelchair because they can't. Whatever thy have, it disables them from walking. Others can include blindness, being deaf, cognitive problems and so on.

Raynaud's I wouldn't class as a disability, however, I think it depends on the severity. If it impairs you from doing day-to-day activities then yes I think it could be considered as it's just that severe.

As I'm a sufferer of Raynaud's I have to make sure that my body temperature is kept to a certain degree otherwise white to blue hands and feet begin to emerge. Simply wearing enough to keep warm can prevent this and therefore if thre's any decision to try and claim disability allowance, the government won't pay out because the problem is in my control. It's also just a matter of common sense not to walk out in colder temperatures in just t-shirt and jeans or so on. Raynaud's is in itself, an allergic reaction to the cold. Keep warm and the reaction doesn't happen. Just like someone who has an allergy to nuts. If they don't eat them, there's no reaction.

Unless your Raynaud's is so severe and that there's no physical way for you to keep your body temperature to a certain degree then it may be classed as a disability but again, it's just a matter of keeping warm and then it prevents it.

I'd class mine as severe I guess, as I can't lift heavy things, tinned beans are a problem and so are welly boots, I can't do exercise easily without having really really bad pain. Writing is a real problem and half the time I have to either stop for 10-30 minutes or use a computer left handedly, I'm right handed. I can't wear frilly tops, too many types of shoes, dresses etc without my circulation going or getting cold, e.g. I can't wear some brown boots I own as they hurt my feet. There also are a lot of other complications but there are somany it would take years haha :D

Philomath June 29th 2013 08:38 PM

Hi Alice,

If your Raynauds is very severe and you have difficulty doing everyday tasks and it is impacting your life severely, you should talk to your parents about seeing if there are any services you can get to make writing and other tasks easier. There are computer programs you can get where you can speak to your computer, as an example, if you find typing to be difficult. Also, I am unsure if you get help through your school, or if you are home schooled but if you go to school and are struggling to write, you could see what support your school could offer.
I also found this website that has a lot of helpful info you might find useful. They also may be able to let you know if Raynauds can be classifyed as a disability.
Hopefully this helps.

frostie June 30th 2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia (Post 1042610)
Hi Alice,

If your Raynauds is very severe and you have difficulty doing everyday tasks and it is impacting your life severely, you should talk to your parents about seeing if there are any services you can get to make writing and other tasks easier. There are computer programs you can get where you can speak to your computer, as an example, if you find typing to be difficult. Also, I am unsure if you get help through your school, or if you are home schooled but if you go to school and are struggling to write, you could see what support your school could offer.
I also found this website that has a lot of helpful info you might find useful. They also may be able to let you know if Raynauds can be classifyed as a disability.
Hopefully this helps.

Hi, yeah I just downloaded a speaking thing on my tablet, it's still downloading, thing is, I can't spend money so it probably won't be amazing but anyway....yeah I go to school, I might have to speak to the school anyway as it's going to be gcse year soon.... yeah, I've seen that site before..... thanks :D

Philomath June 30th 2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostie (Post 1042813)
Hi, yeah I just downloaded a speaking thing on my tablet, it's still downloading, thing is, I can't spend money so it probably won't be amazing but anyway....yeah I go to school, I might have to speak to the school anyway as it's going to be gcse year soon.... yeah, I've seen that site before..... thanks :D

I'm glad that you found an app for your tablet. I am unsure what your tablet is however, there are some tablets with really great free or built-in apps that may be helpful.

frostie June 30th 2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia (Post 1042921)
I'm glad that you found an app for your tablet. I am unsure what your tablet is however, there are some tablets with really great free or built-in apps that may be helpful.

Yeah, it was useless, I deleted it. Wasn't worth the time I waited (about 5 secs) to be honest. I have looked for others but I can't seem to find any free ones.... I have a Samsung tablet. I think it's a galaxy... thanks :D

Wildflower ♥ July 1st 2013 02:02 AM

Try searching the internet, there are a lot of apps out there that aren't just in the app store, I'm sure you can find one!

frostie July 1st 2013 04:01 PM

I've looked, I dont know what to call them??