TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/)
-   -   Can I qualify for disability? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/t129598-can-i-qualify-disability/)

CrystalJade March 21st 2014 06:18 AM

Can I qualify for disability?

I have severe migraine headaches and have since I was 15. I have had several scans to see if there was something present or wrong and they couldn't discover anything. The doctors have no idea why I suffer with these. They are so bad that I get physically sick and vomit and pass out. The frequency of them has risen and I have had to go home from work on a few occasions (part time jobs that I've held). I'm afraid that if I find a company and stick with them for a long time I will have had to be sent home on too many occasions because of them. I do want to work though. I actually have a small headache about every day but when the big ones hit they hit fast and unexpectedly, I feel like I'm dying. The latest one I was at work and had to go home early, I had to drive and I could barely stay conscious. I only lived about 10 mins away but as soon as I got home I turned off all the lights, closed the door, and passed out.

Pain meds do not work. I've tried all kinds, even the extremely strong ones that they have to have doctors notes to get. I've even tried sleeping pills at night and anxiety meds, neither helped. I'm also allergic to morphine so there's not an option of that. This is no way of life and I wish they could figure out the issue.

So with my issue can I qualify for disability but still work when I can? I feel like I need that reassurance and I'm not able to really make enough just by working 10-20 hours a week. I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to be lazy or anything like that, I just really can't live with them and I am concerned.

Thank you!

Thereishope March 21st 2014 02:07 PM

Re: Can I qualify for disability?

If it is interfering with your ability to work, then yes you should be able to qualify for disability.

Philomath March 23rd 2014 10:19 PM

I agree with the previous person that replied to this.
if you are not able to work because of these headaches and you can get medical evidence to support that you are having headaches of this kind (and possibly evidence from your job you are a good worker but do to these headaches you cannot work a normal week).
I am not sure all of the proof that is needed but if you visit the Social Security Website there should be information there. Also, you can call them but I am letting you know from my own experience, it is rare you get a person quickly (unless you call your local office).
I hope this is helpful to you and that you can get the support you need.

DeletedAccount69 April 1st 2014 04:15 AM

I think you should call your local SSI office and ask them what you would need in order to qualify for SSI. From what I know about SSI it is for people who can't maintain a steady period of work due to their disability. I don't know if you would qualify because you are, currently, maintaining a job even with your disability. However, I am not an authority in that department so it would be best to call someone who can give you all that information and tell you what type of options are available to you.

Lelola April 1st 2014 05:05 PM

It is unlikely you will get disability because you can work. However, if you are in the US you should ask about FMLA which allows some protection if you do need to get sent home. I think it's up to a total of 6 weeks unpaid a year and it counts for conditions like pregnancy. You would need a physician to be willing to fill it out.

For disability, you will also need at least one physician willing to say you are disabled and unable to work. Since physicians are being monitored for potential fraud, many require you to go through a lot of hoops to be declared disabled. I have a friend who has severe mental issues that manifest as physical issues (to the point of where she has convinced herself she has seizures even though everything is normal) who is trying to get disability. Since she does not have a psychiatrist and just a psychologist, she is having issues getting declared disabled as none of her medical doctors will say she is disabled from their point of view. You should see her list of self-diagnosed issues that are in fact not collaborated by a doctor's diagnosis or medical test results. Seizures, bronchitis, hypo/hyperthyroidism, migraines, generalized weakness, asthma, etc.

Actually narcotics are not recommended for migraines as they can cause a rebound effect. The hospitals here have stopped prescribing narcotics for migraines.

Have you tried Imitrex?

One thing to consider asking your doctor is about trying supplements for magnesium and b12. We had a classmate who had good results with adding those supplements.\

FMLA protection is a lot easier to get than disability and it will allow you to work to the best of your ability. I know several nurses who get migraines and have the FMLA paperwork filled out. Another coworker also had seizures and he kept his job until he let his FMLA paperwork expire and not renewed it.