TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/)
-   -   Learning disability has stopped me from achieving my full potential. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/t138508-learning-disability-has-stopped-me-achieving-my-full-potential/)

bringmethehorizon♥ May 22nd 2015 03:03 PM

Learning disability has stopped me from achieving my full potential.

Hi everyone. :D

I feel worried because I have a learning issues I have never let it hold me back I have always tried to overcome it to the best of my abilities. What upsets me is that all my friends are going to uni to get degrees in what ever they are studying. I didn't really do well in my GCSES at school I got the lowest grades possible I tried to do well at college and get good qallifcations but I was removed from my course due the problems with me not being able to complete the work. I sit going through reed and lots of jobs ask me to have high Maths and English grades which I don't have. The question is do I stand much of a chance getting a good job I understand I can't just walk in to a job I'm only 18 but I'm on about later life like when I'm 26 or 27 I would like to have a nice job and be doing well for myself I'm sure everybody wants that.

Will my lack of qualifications effect me and stop me from getting a really good job? Loads of my friends are talking about having all these degrees and I'm like well I don't even have GCSE grades. :?

Thanks for viewing my thread.

Palmolive May 22nd 2015 08:10 PM

Re: Learning disability has stopped me from achieving my full potential.

Hi there,

It sounds like you really try to beat the things that push you down so well done for that! I guess your question is a difficult one because it would all depend on what job you would want to be doing. Ie teaching, nursing, vet, journalist, lawyer, medic, etc then you're going to need to go to University to do a degree and they will require certain GCSEs and Alevels. But if it's not a job that requires a degree, you have more of a chance. IE care worker, support worker, sales assistant etc. They may ask for qualifications but they may not be essential and they will probably be more willing to give you training too.

But you can do GCSEs and ALevels through tutors on certain internet websites. I did my maths GCSE through one but you do have to pay for it all but I guess thats an option there if needed or wanted!

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please reply and I'll respond back.

Take good care of yourself,
Jessie

xxpaigiexx May 22nd 2015 11:51 PM

Re: Learning disability has stopped me from achieving my full potential.

Hey Justin,

It's great you aren't letting your learning disabilities stop you. Have you considered doing something vocational at college, it may mean there is less paperwork for you to keep up with and more time doing more hands on things? Or maybe you could look into doing online courses which you could do at your own pace. I don't know how many colleges are in your area, but maybe you could look at applying for a new college this summer as the new school year will be starting in September, if I remember correctly this should still leave you some time to apply and enrol before then. Or you could look into apprenticeships, there is still paperwork involved but if you choose a good college they should be able to give you help and support with that side of things. Or maybe you could look at re-doing some of your GCSES. There are plenty of options for you and you are capable of getting a good job!

Best of luck and I'm always here for a chat if you need one.
Paige