TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   driving for the first time with diabetes (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t54212-driving-first-time-diabetes/)

Adipose September 6th 2010 06:37 AM

driving for the first time with diabetes

so i get to drive a car for the first time tomarrow :):D:):D:):D but i have diabetes and im worried that it will go wild while im driving. i am in complete control over it but still it can take a dive. im going to take lessions in 2 months and test for my permit in 3months. my closest friend just got diabetes 2 years ago but he is in competative quad races and drove before he hit 10. ive been a diabetic for 9 years now but still. any tips?

Infinite September 7th 2010 09:29 PM

Re: driving for the first time with diabetes

My dad is diabetic too. When he gets hungry he goes crazy & angry and he risks our lives, practically. I recommend doing whatever you can to help your blood sugar to a normal level before driving and I'm sure you'll do fine. My dad is supposed to but unfortunately he doesn't...

theatre=life September 7th 2010 10:49 PM

My friends is a diabetic too. She drives all the time even though her diabetes aren't under control.... Just make sure that blood sugar levels are normal before you start and pay attention to how you feel... have something near by if you have a sudden dive.

Ghost On The Highway September 9th 2010 02:27 AM

I'd suggest packing glucose tablets in your glove box for lows, highs are easy if you have a pump and you can always pull off to the roadside even if you're on injections. I haven't really noticed that hypoglycemia has a negative effect on my driving, as most people say it does. High blood sugar, however, makes me feel quite fatigued and could result in falling asleep while driving if I don't deal with it.

Adipose September 9th 2010 05:19 AM

i do wear the pump

Bibliophile September 10th 2010 10:56 AM

Hey there,

My uncle has diabetes, and he obviously has to eat regularly and keep an eye on his blood sugar. How often do you check your blood sugar as it is, and how often do you eat? Your doctor could probably recommend a number of different options to ensure that you are safe enough to drive, but so long as you keep food close at hand while you're driving, you know the obvious rules regarding pulling over if you don't feel good, and you keep checking your blood sugar, hopefully everything will be fine!

Don't hesitate to PM me!
Marie.

Adipose September 10th 2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rie (Post 476191)
How often do you check your blood sugar as it is, and how often do you eat?

ever 2-3 hrs. 15 mins if i go high or low.