TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Disabilities (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/)
-   -   Coping with sisters disability? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f122-disabilities/t69150-coping-sisters-disability/)

LazzaBeep March 12th 2011 05:55 PM

Coping with sisters disability?

My 10 year old sister had a very bad case of ADHD and possibly autism.
It dont sound like a big thing but when your living with it 24/7 it is very hard.
She is very violent and has put myself and my mom in hospital and is also very close to putting my 13 year old sister in hospital.
She targets my 13 year old sister and my mom. My mom was knocked out and hospitalized with a possible broken hip and head injury.
I try to get out of the house as much of possible but its hard as all my friends have boyfriends or work and are constantly held up. I am talking to a professional about it but it dont seem to be working at the moment.
I find it hard to study for college. I have spoke to my tutors about it and they have given me extensions but its just not helping.
I just need a bit of suggestions of what I can do to help my mom or my sister (10)

Berries and Cream March 13th 2011 01:58 AM

Re: Coping with sisters disability?

Hi Laura :) You're not alone; I also have a sister with a disability, although different from yours. She has a learning disability. I know it's hard dealing with this, but please gather support from those you love to help you pull through. It's also very important to know that your sister shouldn't be harming you or your family. If the professional you are currently working with doesn't help, you have to go see a new one who will work for her disability. She should get some daily professional help/treatment. The best thing you can do with your mom and your sister is to stay strong or perhaps receive counseling or treatment.
Good luck :)
Sorry I wasn't much help :(
Stay strong Laura!!

Ella.x March 23rd 2011 11:52 AM

Hey, I have a younger brother with Autism and general learning difficulties, so I have been in a similar position to you, although my brother is very rarely violent. Since you're living in England, you may qualify for help from social services like respite care so that you and your family can have a break from your sister occasionally. You will probably have to fight like hell to get that help, but if you keep at it you can get it.

Also, is your sister receiving any care from a doctor/counsellor? because they can definately help as a support system for your sister and the rest of the family. If your college has a library, maybe you could try and get most of your work done there so you're not too stressed to do it at home.
I hope some of this helps

WhisperingSilence March 23rd 2011 06:58 PM

is your sister on ritalin or concerta ? i have adhd and used to take thoose, if not i would suggest she goes to the doctor and gets prescribed some ritalin or concerta.

LittleMiss April 5th 2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmisschatterbox (Post 607323)
is your sister on ritalin or concerta ? i have adhd and used to take thoose, if not i would suggest she goes to the doctor and gets prescribed some ritalin or concerta.

Why do people always start by suggesting a prescription?

I had mild ADHD as a kid, my Paediatrician suggested ritalin when I was 5-6 but my mum refused. My god-brother had severe ADHD up until about 2 years ago. He was taking ritalin and the side-effects really screwed him up. He didn't sleep, even when he took sleeping pills and could only eat in the middle of the night.

I was treated with acupuncture from grade 5 to grade 7. I didn't notice any changes but all of my family and the people around me did.

My god-brother was treated with acupuncture. At first he was completely against it and his mother really had to push to get him to do it. He started with laser treatment and then voluntarily moved onto needles. He was able to wean off of ritalin almost totally and only took it for exams so he was sure he could sit through them.