TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   will diabetes prevent me from being in a government affiliated job? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t75235-will-diabetes-prevent-me-being-government-affiliated-job/)

Adipose May 27th 2011 02:32 AM

will diabetes prevent me from being in a government affiliated job?

hi, i have diabetes (11yrs type 1) and ever since i was little ive always wanted to join the military (the majority of the males in my family are all retired (those who have joined)) and when i found out i couldnt join i was basically "heart broken". so im in highschool right now (sopho) and i want to join a government alliated job. id prefer FBI becuase they intrest me the most. would i be able to get a good job (not like janitor or anything) but like either field agent or techy or something? if not what else do you think?

thanks
mk96ftw

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! May 27th 2011 04:17 AM

Re: will diabetes prevent me from being in a government affiliated job?

I think the concern wouldn't be the fact you are type 1, rather the concern would be is it well controlled. I suppose if you're more in the office than the field, you could get an insulin pump, whereas if you're in the field, you still could but I'd imagine there is a higher rate of it being damaged. If you can control it fairly well, then I think there wouldn't be any problem.

Anonymous. May 27th 2011 06:27 PM

I don't think that would be an issue. Like the poster above me said, if you can control it very well with whatever accomodation you may need, you should be able to work there. Plus, with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, they cannot turn you down because of your diabeties. Don't misunderstand me here, that doesn't mean they cannot turn you down because you're not qualified and it has nothing to do with the ADA. Now, I don't know how this would work, but if you wanted to work in the field, that may be limited. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to do other things other than just being in a desk. Don't be afraid to explore your possibilities and don't think you'd just be stuck at a desk job if that's not what you want. But, please make sure you take care of yourself and don't be afraid to assert yourself when needed.

Kumagoro May 27th 2011 07:43 PM

I think Chloe's right - it should be similar in the USA, but in the UK they can't discriminate on the basis of disability, unless it's going to put your health at risk. If your diabetes is under control then you should be fine. Just make sure you can manage your diet and insulin, and it shouldn't stop you from living a normal life and getting a good job.

Adipose May 27th 2011 10:48 PM

[quote=The Man And XX Master;650205]I suppose if you're more in the office than the field, you could get an insulin pump, quote]

i acually have been on an insulin pump for the past 7 or 8 years. im in 100% control of my diabetes as well as keeping my a1c stable.

thanks for the feedback

WhisperingSilence May 29th 2011 12:00 PM

I think you can join the police force with diabetes, as long as they are aware of it ect, and no that you can control it and such like, I don't see a problem with it stopping you from joining the police force. you could always ask at your local police station though and see what they say they would be able to give you the best answers.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! May 30th 2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk96ftw (Post 650639)
i acually have been on an insulin pump for the past 7 or 8 years. im in 100% control of my diabetes as well as keeping my a1c stable.

thanks for the feedback

If you're on the insulin pump, as you know you cant take hard hits to that area. It may be a problem if you're responding to calls because there's the chance it may be damaged. I'm not sure what police do for hand-to-hand training but having an insulin pump may not be recommended for such training and sparring. That is the only thing I could think of that may be a concern. I don't know if it's possible but if there are highly protective or shock-absorbent cases for the insulin pump, they may be helpful.

Casey. May 30th 2011 10:33 PM

Honestly, your best bet is to talk to someone in the field and ask them about it. Someone who works for the police or the FBI would be able to tell you if being diabetic would cause undue hardships and make you ineligible to being an agent. You could do desk work, or CSI. But I think if you look it up online, the chance of being a field agent is slim.

Sythan June 1st 2011 03:37 PM

In the United States, you cannot join any branch of the Military if you have diabetes, it is considered too much of risk. You can be a Police Officer if it is well controlled, and you are able to pass the Police Physical Fitness Exam.