TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Addiction to music? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t101636-addiction-music/)

Norners May 12th 2012 11:16 PM

Addiction to music?

I'm addicted to music. Whenever I listen to it I feel really happy, but I'm annoyed by everything that comes between me and my music. I have to listen to it all the time or else I feel a little bit empty inside.

I'm addicted to the emotion in songs and I recently turned to screamo to satisfy my need for that chills feeling that you get when a song is really good.

I play the tuba. When I play my sousaphone, (the really big tuba), the sound just vibrates through my whole body and it feels and sounds amazing when I play the right notes. I also sing, and when I hit those high notes I feel like I could just fly away.

I don't know if this is a bad thing, but I don't know if it could become unhealthy. Please help me, I'm really confused :(

Ambedo. May 13th 2012 12:14 AM

Re: Addiction to music?

I definitely don't see this as a bad thing. You have a passion for music. There's nothing wrong with that. As long as it isn't getting in the way of your day-to-day life, then keep doing what you're doing. :)

Lumos. May 13th 2012 03:33 AM

As Sammi said its not a bad thing. Im basically the same way, you just love music. :)

craz33me May 13th 2012 06:12 AM

I'm the exact same way!! I feel so weird without my music.

theinfatuatedpanda May 13th 2012 07:34 AM

As people said above, it's not a bad thing. :) It just shows your passion towards music. ^.^ So I wouldn't worry about it. =)
Take care! xx

Eternal May 13th 2012 07:47 PM

Its pretty common to have a deep love for music. Its a wonderful outlet and a great way to find something to relate to. Its perfectly find and actually a healthy way to get your emotions out. :)

survivor16 May 13th 2012 08:45 PM

So, like everyone else said I dont think it's abnormal.
A lot of people, especially at a young age, feel the same way. Music is a form of expressing yourself and that's just how you do it. :)

Bibliophile May 14th 2012 09:13 AM

It sounds like you're pretty passionate for music, and that's fine. Is it getting in the way of your day to day life? That's the only time it could really be considered a 'problem'.
I constantly have music on. In class, in the bath...really all the time. :p I wouldn't class it as an addiction, though.

aftershocks May 15th 2012 04:06 AM

It's not a bad thing unless it gets in the way, like you listen to it when you're not supposed to. I'm pretty much the same way, any time I can have music on I pretty much will have music on...

EmNZ May 15th 2012 09:35 PM

Good on you! Music is beautiful! (=
“Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music” - google it, I think you can very much hear the music!

You obviously know you need to keep a balance - from your comment.

So as long as it makes you happy keep it up!!!

George^^ May 15th 2012 09:47 PM

I have to agree with you on the "music makes me happy" factor, through I've had other emotions come out by music ("Cancer" by My Chemical Romance can make me cry like a baby, bag pipes make me remember being younger and a family friend.) - In music you can always find a way to not feel as alone, if the lyrics fit your mood, it can feel like they wrote it about you, right?

Norners May 17th 2012 06:38 PM

Thank you all so much :D

Just Peachy. May 17th 2012 07:02 PM

I don't see an issue with this. I'm the same way. Music is my way of functioning. I do my job with music playing. I have a sax and was in band for years. I sing any chance I get. I do everything with music. It's good to have a passion for something. I think a lot of people can relate to you <3

Evanesco May 20th 2012 09:18 AM

Music is actually a really healthy way with dealing with emotions. Better than a lot of things that you could turn to. It's something that makes you happy, doesn't harm you and is a very useful life skill. Playing music could even help you get further in life, so it sounds all good. :)

You say that you are annoyed by anything that comes between you and your music. If this is affecting your life, for example your social life or relationships, in ways that you don't want it to, then it might be helpful to take a step back and think about it. I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about here, so feel free to clarify, but for example, if someone asked you to come out, and it was in the middle of your music practice and you got annoyed, then you could think: is it worth being annoyed? Have I practiced enough to stop and go out for a bit? And remember that the music will still be there when you get back. If that has nothing to do with what you were talking about then I'm sorry, please feel free to correct me. :)

Cutie7519 May 21st 2012 03:11 PM

Ahh, as long as music doesn't get in the way of day-to-day life like the others have said then you are as free as a bird to listen to it.

I love my music and I never leave my house without my iPod touch or my ear phones for that matter.

I could say different with my music and I like Tokio Hotel, their music is great, and the just the songs they speak to me, some are mostly sad. But I love them and a really good band. Sorry I went off again! Forgive me.:nosweat:

The Goblins Blade May 21st 2012 05:12 PM

Nothing wrong with that! I spend most of my time listening to music :D

.:PrincessZelda:. May 22nd 2012 01:12 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that

Ambedo. May 23rd 2012 05:39 AM

Since this thread has gotten a lot of similar replies, I'm going to go ahead and close it. To the OP: if you would like for this thread to be re-opened, simply shoot a PM to me or my co-mod Peppermint Tea.♥