TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Is this an addiction? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t104013-addiction/)

Agony June 14th 2012 05:54 AM

Is this an addiction?

I think I'm addicted to medicine in general. For instance, sleeping pills don't work on me very well but I would take 3-4 every night just for the way I would feel the next day, I also am constant taking Advil (for pain) but I think I just take whatever I can find to see what happens....I'm not like trying to OD or anything I just do it to do it. Yes, it's probably extremely stupid of me but it's almost like I can't stop..like its a habit or something. Any ideas? I would like to stop.

ForeverAnna June 14th 2012 12:50 PM

Re: Is this an addiction?

Hey :)
Yeah unfortunately this is an addiction, I had this exact same thing, it can get pretty bad if you don't stop.
I think the first thing you need to do is get rid of the pills, or if you need them for like injuries let someone else hold them for you and then get them at specific times of the day that might work.
You should tell someone like a doctor, maybe get a checkup because drugs are really dangerous, especially pain killers and sleeping pills - they're really easy to OD on, I OD'd by accident once, so be careful, yeah?

I've been through something similar and I'm always here so PM me if you want :)
Stay strong,
Anna :hug:

Evanesco June 24th 2012 09:02 AM

Hey Ash,

Firstly, this does sound like an addiction, because it sounds like you can't stop. Taking medication when you don't need them, or taking more than the recommended dose, can be really dangerous. If you've taken anything recently, I would highly recommend going to a doctor for a check up because depending on the medication, they can do horrible things to your organs, like your liver.

Anna had a really good suggestion of getting someone else to hold your medications. If you haven't already started doing this I'd really recommend it because then you can still use them, but only safely. I'd also recommend removing any pills from your home that you don't need or don't use, like out of date medication and any pills you don't actually need, and also only keeping a small amount in the house and just replacing them regularly if you do need them. This way there won't be so many for you to take.

I'd also recommend that you talk to someone you trust about this. A parent possibly, or your doctor, because sometimes if you have an addiction you need help to overcome it.

Take care.

xxEmyxx June 24th 2012 09:19 AM

Well, this is an addiction... You can talk to the doctor or your parents and ask them for help. This can become very dangerous so get help as fast as you can....

Take care...

.:PrincessZelda:. June 24th 2012 01:58 PM

This does sound like an addiction. I used to do this, but I'm trying to stop and it's been almost a week since I last did it. I think you need to tell someone like a friend, therapist/counsellor, parent, or any other family member that you think you can trust in. They maybe able to help you get the help you need.

survivor16 June 29th 2012 01:04 AM

As most everyone has said, I think this is an addiction. I think you should tell someone about this, and they will be able to help you stop. There may be more underlying issues for why you are doing this, and maybe someone can help you take the ones you need at the right amount, ect.

There are many options! I'm so glad that you reached out. :) I wish you the best of luck. Get rid of those meds!

Shelby