TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   semi-computer addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t33211-semi-computer-addiction/)

glen December 30th 2009 04:23 AM

semi-computer addiction

i would say i spend too much time on the computer, but its not because i'm addicted, but rather that i don't know what else to do with my time. i have no problem getting off the computer and doing something else, but most of the time i'm off the computer, i can't really find something to do. i play bass guitar and practice on average about 30-45 minutes each day. i get in a good hour of reading each day as well, but other than that i really don't know what to do. my parents don't like me going out on school days, because i'm a junior and they think that i need enourmous amounts of time for hw, even though it only takes me 1-2 hours total. those things take up about 4-5 hours of my time on school days, which leaves the other 4-5 hours of my time to do nothing. becuase i can't think of anything to do, i always just go on the computer. what else can you suggest for me to do? i would really like some ideas of less time consuming ways that i can hang out with my friends. also, my parents won't let me sign up for extracurricular classes like dance or singing because they say it takes too much time for this year. any help is appreciated thanks.

Stardaze December 30th 2009 08:12 AM

Re: semi-computer addiction

I can't really help much i just wanted to say that i do relate to you. I'm on the computer way to much and i really do this it's like an addiction. At least your doing guitar and reading to balance out your day. Try weaning off slowly. Maybe start watching more TV. Sorry i couldn't be more help. :(

Ayak22 December 30th 2009 10:12 PM

I don't think that a lot of computer usage is an addiction that needs to be sorted.. at least not in my case. I used to be on the computer from when I got home at 6pm and would be on til 5am playing games and stuff... but then still went out and spent time on here and talking to people.. Does it get in the way of your social life? If so, that's a problem, if not, you're probably quite the norm here :P

Ryan1 January 1st 2010 06:39 PM

Well I’m on the computer a lot for practically the same reasons. I play Xbox sometimes but I really enjoy being on the computer so that’s where I chose to spend my time. Don’t get me wrong I do go out to the movies see friends and all the fun stuff.

My suggestion to you is just be social with your friends as much as you can be via msn facebook and go out when you can.;)

Union Of V January 1st 2010 06:51 PM

Unless you have difficulty stopping (boredom doesn't count) it's not an addiction. I spend reasonably long amounts of time on the PC, but I can easily choose to stop, and I've simply stopped using the PC for weeks without noticing.

Ahmad227 January 2nd 2010 04:24 AM

Hey guys i think i am addicted by Age of Empire Seniario CBA V12 all the time i play online tell me how to stop it...

PLZ

Union Of V January 2nd 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmad (Post 293644)
Hey guys i think i am addicted by Age of Empire Seniario CBA V12 all the time i play online tell me how to stop it...

PLZ

Don't play it?

Alaskan January 2nd 2010 02:59 PM

Yeah I don't think being on this should be called an addiction, well unless your playing World of Warcraft or something :D

Union Of V January 2nd 2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaskan (Post 293885)
Yeah I don't think being on this should be called an addiction, well unless your playing World of Warcraft or something :D

GENERALIZATION! GENERALIZATION! :p

Ayak22 January 2nd 2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Union Of V (Post 293933)
GENERALIZATION! GENERALIZATION! :p

You know that it's a correct one, too. Haha.

Lightning January 3rd 2010 06:26 PM

Being on the internet all day is fine, but you should still be able to involve yourself in the real world and get things done. If you're not doing what you're suppose to be doing and putting other higher priorities below the online realm, then maybe it is a problem. Yeah, I'm on the net too much at times, but I finish my homework, do my chores, and do whatever else I want to do. I can not say that my internet life and real life conflict with one another.

You need to go outside, talk to real people, all that sort of thing.