TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Does this sound like an addiction/ OCD? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t43499-does-sound-like-addiction-ocd/)

Clouds. May 2nd 2010 01:35 AM

Does this sound like an addiction/ OCD?

Hey,
So since i've been at uni I've felt so pressured to get as high a mark as possible that it seems to be taking over my life a little bit.

In my first year I started a tally of hours of extra work I'd done over and above lecture time, to motivate myself and make sure I was doing enough work. But now its year two and I've done the same this year, recording every 1/4 hour of extra uni work done.

Also, if I start doing uni work a bit later than I planned, Ill add on the extra time on top of it all eg.: if I go to the tiolet, or spend 15 mins making some food Ill add it back onto my time for the day so I end up doing even more.

Does this seem a little bit weird, or almost a uni work addiction/ OCD??

Also, I have quite an obsession with plugs as Im terrified of all my things/ the house going on fire. So, I will check the plugs are all off/ my straighteners are off about 10x before leaving a room. Sometimes I'll lock the front door and then run back up to check one final time because Im terrified I didnt check and there'll be a fire when I get back.

Im a bit funny about my car being locked too, so Ill check its locked about 3x before Ill leave it. (think this is because once i wasnt paying attention and left the door unlocked with the keys in the egnition whilst i went out for a meal though!)

So, it seems like a might have some sort of addictive/ OCD personality? I dont know anyone who has this, so do you think that I might have a problem and if so, do you think I need some professional help or will it be okay?

Thanks!

Jen May 2nd 2010 04:24 AM

Re: Does this sound like an addiction/ OCD?

Hey there,

It definitely does sound like some symptoms of OCD. The key is, if it's interfering with your life, you need to get it checked out. Everyone has little "quirks", things they double check, worry about, etc. But if it doesn't ruin their days or interfere with their functioning, it's just a part of them.

Do you feel like your behaviors are getting worse? More frequent? Preventing you from enjoying your days and getting things done? If so, definitely worth talking to a professional about it! Always a good idea :)

Good luck to you, let me know if you want to talk!
<3

Clouds. May 2nd 2010 11:19 PM

Re: Does this sound like an addiction/ OCD?

Hey,
Thanks for the reply :)
I don't think that it's gotten to the point where it's ruining my life, it's just making me work really hard and panic a bit sometimes if I don't get my work done enough and stuff. Maybe it's just stress related? Because it's only really all started since my A Level exams about 3 years ago. I don't see what else could have triggered it.

Maybe I'll just see how it goes until it really starts taking over my life and then I'll go and get help. Hopefully it'll all go away when I finish uni and get into a job because I'll have nothing really to tally then...

Thanks again :)