TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Addiction. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t91181-addiction/)

BethGoesRawr December 23rd 2011 02:03 PM

Addiction.

Hey guys... I have recently posted a thread in here called "addiction?!" or something like that, if you havn't read it then I will just give you a basic view of what is happening: I started watching snuff movies (where you see them get killed) and that lead to watching real murder videos. I am addicted to watching it, and actually have been making lists of people and what I would do to them...
Some of you have posted comments like "just stop watching it" or "tell someone"...but its hard. I tried to stop watching it and I almost had panic attacks, I start shaking and have to watch it. I don't know why I can't stop and it is scaring me :'(
Also, I can't tell someone because I am going to some illeagal sites and looking at this stuff and being just 13 is illeagal any way..... I don't know whats wrong with me :?

Ambedo. December 23rd 2011 05:30 PM

Re: Addiction.

Honestly, you do need to stop watching it. I know it's tough for you -- if it's something you're addicted to, walking away can seem almost impossible. But, it's best for your health and for everyone else. Could you install a filter on your computer? It will allow you to choose certain websites to block, so you won't be able to go on them. Here is a link to a free download called K9 Web Protection. It's a great program that has worked for me in the past. Hope this helped!

Katrina December 26th 2011 12:34 PM

Re: Addiction.

Firstly, I have to send over a hug to you for being honest.

Second, I echo what Sammi says. Addictions are hard to overcome, period, but even so, this one sounds incredibly unhealthy, and we gotta find something else that works for you. I'm wondering what caused you to start watching these videos, and I'm wondering if you can pinpoint any reason behind why you watch them. Often, combating the reason behind the action can work more effectively that combating the action itself (which will, in turn, be combated as well), and if you were to seek counseling (which I highly encourage you to do), this might be one of the things they would work with you on.

Have you ever thought about looking into any kind of group support or group therapy for addictive behaviors? It'd be a little bit different than one-on-one therapy because everyone in the room would be in a similar spot, AND because you'd likely not be disclosing quite as much as you'd would be disclosing if you were in an individual therapeutic relationship.

It sounds to me, Beth, like you're really wanting to get help with this monster you're fighting, right now, but that you're scared of the consequences of what that might be are. This addiction seems like a very suffocating thing, though, and you DESERVE help. Things certainly aren't going to change on their own - you have to be willing and open to change, and its SO important that you start taking small steps to change, whether (as I was mentioning before), that's combating the action or the reason behind it.

A few questions that I want to leave you with (that you don't necessarily have to answer here, but I'd love to hear back from you if you do) are these: What can you do that you enjoy when you get urges to watch these videos, Beth? If you stopped watching them, what kind of positive effects would it have on your life? What kind of changes would you be seeing in yourself?

I hope things work out for you. :hug: I'm going to move your thread to Addictive Behaviors, where I think you'll be able to receive more replies. (: Take good care of yourself.