TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Rape and Abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/)
-   -   Organizations associated with giving support to and/or preventing rape and abuse? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/t14477-organizations-associated-giving-support-preventing-rape-abuse/)

TheNumber42 May 17th 2009 04:14 PM

Organizations associated with giving support to and/or preventing rape and abuse?

Well, I've just felt like I want to do something more than hang around here and help people if I can. I have so many good friends who have been hurt by rape and abuse, and I just want to do something about it.

I don't know if there are any organizations I could volunteer to help with or donate to, or really anything I could do? I just want to do something. Everytime I read one of these threads, or hear a friend talking about what happened to them my heart breaks, and if I could do something to help one person avoid this or get help for it sooner, that'd be worth it for me.

Any ideas what I could do?

(sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, didn't know where to put it)

Christinaa317o8 May 17th 2009 06:46 PM

Re: Organizations associated with giving support to and/or preventing rape and abuse?

Well, you're helping here by posting very helpful post to those posting threads. I'd check at your local YMCA/YWCA to see if there's anything to do. Most of them have programs for victims of abuse.

Hope this helps.

If you don't have a YMCA around you, check within your school about forming a group and talking to younger and highschool kids about abuse prevention and recovery. If you could actually form a group it'd be a big inspiration.

Its so great you wanna help with this, =]

Good luck.

Jen May 17th 2009 06:48 PM

Re: Organizations associated with giving support to and/or preventing rape and abuse?

Cody, that's wonderful that you want to get involved! RAINN (the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) is absolutely fabulous and has a lot of good ways to get involved. Here is a link to their "get involved" webpage--you are likely to find some good opportunities here!

TheNumber42 May 17th 2009 09:10 PM

Thank you Christina and Jen :)

I'm not sure I would be quite ready to start a group. I don't know if I really have the people and organizational skills, or the time, to get something like that running. But I would like to at some point in the future.

I'll definitely look at the RAINN website. They have something about college activism, and I live really near a college town, so hopefully there are some groups/events there I can get involved with.

ForeverAutumn* May 17th 2009 10:28 PM

Cody,

Just want to start by saying it's fantastic you want to get involved, it truly is.

As Jen said, RAINN is a great organization. Also check out any organizations in your area - a google search might bring up some results. Some areas have rape crisis centers you might want to look into, and see if you can get a volunteer job at a center like that.

Another thought, what about checking with your local police - they might have some ideas or suggestions for local organizations you can help out with.

If this is something that would interest you, think about going to schools to speak about rape and abuse - what to do if you've been assaulted or abused, what to do if a friend is assaulted or abused, etc. Many students don't know how to react to rape and abuse because it's not something they've been exposed much to. Being a speaker could help get information out to others.

Again, really great you want to do this! Take care of yourself and best of luck. :)

soul May 18th 2009 07:56 PM

Hey Cody,

I think it is extremely admirable that you want to help out with such a noble cause. As the others have mentioned RAINN is a really great organization and I would suggest looking into being an online hotline volunteer for them because it's a great way to help out and you can volunteer around your schedule. If I'm not mistaken HERE is a link for different rape and domestic violence support centers in your state. I wish you the best of luck in finding an organization to volunteer with or another way to help out. Remember every little bit you do counts so don't feel discouraged if you can't help the whole world. Another idea would be helping victims in a similar way you help out users here. HERE is a forum website dedicated solely to helping victims of sexual assault. I'm sure you can find many people to help out there. Take care and good luck with everything.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

TheNumber42 May 18th 2009 08:28 PM

Thanks Sarah and Mimi.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready to do any speeches or anything. I'm quite shy, so that may have to wait.

I will look into volunteering with RAINN. Is their online hotline similar to LiveHelp here on TH?

I also signed up for the Pandora Project site.

Thank you again everyone for the the links and advice :)