TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Rape and Abuse (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/)
-   -   Few questions- about a rape kit.. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f13-rape-abuse/t89432-few-questions-about-rape-kit/)

keepbreathingkeeploving November 27th 2011 11:08 PM

Few questions- about a rape kit..

1.) What is a rape kit, like what would they do?
2.) Does it hurt?
3.) If I started struggling during it would the doctors stop? I feel like it would really scare me..
4.) If you didn't get one done right after the rape, is it still a good idea to get checked out by a doctor? Could they tell if you have ever had intercourse before?

All insight is appreciated..

Chris November 28th 2011 06:49 AM

Re: Few questions- about a rape kit..

Evidence collection, also called the rape kit, can only be done with your consent. Any evidence found in your hospital examination can strengthen your case should you later decide to go to court. Some physical evidence can only be collected within 72 hours of the attack. Evidence may be collected and held at the hospital even if you do not plan to report the attack to the police. This way, if you decide to report at a later date, the evidence will still be available.Hospitals in Illinois are required to notify the police that treatment has been given the a sexual assault victim, but they will not reveal any information about your (your name, the specific treatments administered, etc.) without your consent.

If you choose to allow evidence collection, the following will be done: samples will be taken from the genitals, the rectum, and the mouth; combings of the head and pubic hair and collecting of material from beneath your fingernails. These samples can be used to detect the assailant's sperm, hair, and skin cells, all of which can help to identify the attacker. The clothes you were wearing may also be sent to the crime lab and kept as evidence until your case is closed. The hospital will provide you with other clothes to wear home. Photographs may be taken of bruises, cuts, and other injuries that occurred during the assault; these may be kept as evidence until your case is closed.

That is from an artical that I read. However, if you have ever listened to Dr Drew (a radio host that answer sexual questions) He says that a doctor can tell if you have had intercourse or not. But if you were to have anal sex a doctor can NOT tell if you have had intercourse (unless there is something fractured or broken).

As far as I know, it does not hurt (from people I know that have had it done)

Koharuchan November 29th 2011 05:40 PM

I've never even heard of a rape kit before. o_O

Chris November 30th 2011 12:16 AM

Its usally used by Police Officals and hospital workers when there is a case of rape and no indenity has been found of the suspect. It usally tests for Sperm, Saliva, skin cells, and hair - once found, they are able to proccess it and in most cases find a suspect and charge them with rape. However some rape kits are proven faulty in the court system.

TheBabyEater November 30th 2011 12:29 AM

Chris went through what is is pretty well! As far as I know, it does not hurt, and if it does they will do everything in their power to keep it from hurting too much, they can even help you manage the pain.

The doctors who handle rape kits are very kind doctors who are there to help you, not harm you. If you're having trouble in it, they WILL help you through it, never will they force you to do anything you don't want to. It is your decision whether or not to do every step of a rape kit, as Chris said. You're in control, not them.

Even if you don't get the examination (I never did like the term "rape kit" I think examination is less scary) it's a good idea to get checked out, even if you don't report it, for a few reasons. (which I think everyone should report it, even if I never did) For one, you could have gotten hurt and don't know it. Then there's the chance of some STD or pregnancy. I know it's scary but the doctors can help with any problem. Remember, they're there to help, not harm.