TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t153663-sceard-ring-nhs-counselling-phone-number-my-doctor-gave-me/)

bringmethehorizon♥ October 31st 2017 04:37 PM

Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me

I went and spoke to my doctor about my issues with my anger and she gave me a card to ring it has NHS on the side of it with a phone number. I think it's to apply to for NHS counselling but I've never done this before I'm nervous to ring it what happens when you ring it what do I say etc.

DeletedAccount69 October 31st 2017 07:02 PM

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me

I am not in the UK so I can't say for certain how it works exactly. However, usually when I am calling to get in a counselor, they will take some information over the phone to determine what services I need and if they can provide those services. From there, they will schedule an appointment and they will either ask that I come to the appointment 20-30 minutes early so I can fill out paperwork or they will send me the paperwork in the mail. The paperwork is usually something to determine more of the problem areas and things we need to work on.

I would assume that the NHS will have a similar process such as trying to figure out what your needs are, if they have a counselor available to help you and so on. Usually, the initial phone call is relatively laid back and simple since they are just gathering information.

I hope someone else will come along and provide you with more, NHS specific information. I hope you will, at least, consider giving them a call.

Celyn October 31st 2017 10:38 PM

I've not gone through the NHS for counselling, but I imagine that as said above, calling them would mean they would take some basic details (name, contact details, reasons for counselling etc). You may get put on a waiting list (anywhere between weeks to months, depending on where you are and how long the waiting list may be) but if it's through the NHS it should be free. They'll probably contact you nearer the time when and where you can have counselling and who your counsellor may be.

It's understandable to be nervous. If you don't know what to say you can just say that you were referred by your doctor for help dealing with your anger, and they should be able to take it from there.

Well done for talking to your doctor, and hope you take the next step and give the counsellors a call :)

bringmethehorizon♥ November 2nd 2017 11:43 AM

Hi Holly

I am not sure if it's counselling but it's like a little card you know like a business card? Do you get what I mean? The little card says feeling low feeling stressed feeling worried and it has a little number on it at the bottom it has NHS.

I am guessing this is a card to apply for counselling I told my doctor about my issues and she said I should call this number I really want to call it but I keep putting off as I am really shy when I know it will help me for the better also I have to go on a waiting list I would imagine so the quicker I call the better but I am just so dam shy.

Celyn November 2nd 2017 01:46 PM

You are right that the sooner you call the number, the sooner you can get put on the waiting list and get help. But I understand shyness gets in the way.

Maybe try writing down what you want to say and practice saying it first? Alternatively, maybe you can get a parent or a friend to give them a call. They'll still need to speak to you, but it can help to have that little push into starting the conversation. Or, maybe look up the number online and see if they have a website or an email address that you could use to contact them instead?

Remember that it's okay to be nervous and the person taking your call will understand. I'm sure many people taking their first steps and calling will be nervous, so the person taking the call will have plenty of experience dealing with nervous callers :)

bringmethehorizon♥ November 3rd 2017 01:17 PM

Hi Holly
I rang the number shortly after I responded to your post yesterday. They have put me on a waiting list and I have a call next week I believe.

Thanks for the help.

Celyn November 3rd 2017 11:38 PM

Well done for calling the number! Glad to hear that you're on the waiting list and hope that everything goes smoothly. Since the issue has been resolved, I'll go ahead and close your thread, but if you want to re-open it, feel free to PM me :)