TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   Age regression (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t158546-age-regression/)

DeletedAccount63 March 1st 2019 07:12 AM

Age regression

If this is the wrong place to put this then please feel free to move it.

I have always like kid shows like Disney junior and Nick jr. Anyways as I am typing this right now Mickey Mouse Club house is on. I actually find the shows funny and entertaining. I have a huge collection of stuffed animals and love it when my mom makes them talk in funny voices. As of recently I have been finding myself wanting to suck my thumb when I am trying to go to bed but I stop myself because I am 27 years old.

Anyways I have been reading a FanFiction about age regression and it has gotten me thinking that it appeals to me. So I looked it up and one thing I read said that even if your not in little space you still are child like. So like watching the kid shows I love, having my stuffed animals talk, wearing PJs all day.

I also read that it is common in people with PTSD and other mental health issues.

Anyways I have always reverted to baby talk without even knowing it at time and talk in third person. I haven't reverted to baby talk in a while, but have been using third person.

My therapist 6 months ago said I was making progress and was reverting to baby talk or using third person.

But since I have been doing DBT and realizing things and doing hard stuff, I have wanted to suck my thumb and night and use the pacifiers I have bought two years ago.

I just don't know how to let myself know that this okay, and just because I am 27 doesn't mean that sometimes I don't need these things or want them. I know there are people out there that age regress and I am hoping there are some on Teenhelp that I can talk to, to make me feel not so alone and know that it is okay.

God this is embarrassing and don't know if it makes any sense. But I hope it does.

Latte March 1st 2019 03:59 PM

Re: Age regression

Don't feel embarrassed, it sounds like there are really good reasons for why you want things like pacifiers and talking using language that isn't age appropriate at times, it sounds like these things have served a purpose for you, they keep you safe, even if they aren't sustainable or long term habits, due to how adults are expected to act, at least when in public. I have also shown signs of PTSD and have adopted a lot of coping habits that I don't necessarily, such as the way I eat, but there was a time that these habits kept me safe, even if it was just safe from being ripped apart inside the trauma I experienced.

What you're doing is ok because it sounds like it kept you safe too and like you're ready to deal with the underlying issues.

Also there's nothing wrong with a lot of the stuff you mentioned; I also like watching Disney movies, for example, a lot of us crave things that brought us comfort as children and for you, that might be a pacifier. I get that things like a pacifier is "just for babies" and totally understand why you want to replace it, but I also think you need to recognize that therapy and healing is a process and you will be able to replace these habits with something more productive or be able to function without needing it or being able to wait until, say, you are at home and not have it interfere with your day to day life when you're ready.

Celyn March 1st 2019 06:20 PM

Nothing to be embarrassed about and what you said makes perfect sense.

As you've found out, age regression can occur for many reasons, including things trauma related and PTSD. It seems like watching kids shows, sucking your thumb etc were things that helped you to feel safe when you were younger and it makes sense that while doing DBT you may want to revert back to baby talk and other 'safe' things.

Even without mental illness, 'adulting' can be hard and we all need down time to do the things that we like and enjoy. There's nothing wrong with being 27 and liking stuffed animals, watching kids shows, even thumb sucking, in the privacy of your own home. Part of the reason why you may feel embarrased is that society often says we should have 'grown up' past these things, but really, everyone is different and there's nothing wrong with still liking the things you did as a child. Personally, I feel young in myself as I don't do many things that are considered 'age appropriate' and like you I like childish things too. I just see it as part of my personality and that's okay :) Though as Latte said above, it's also worth exploring in therapy and developing new coping techniques which you can use, more so in public or when around other people and can't rely on your current techniques.

DeletedAccount63 March 8th 2019 11:46 AM

Thank you both.

I wasn't going to talk to my therapist about this but s because we've talked about this before. Anyways I did talk to her and she said she wasn't going to make me stop... Which I thought she would because if other discussions we've had she just didn't want that stuff in my therapy sessions.

We have a plan for me to write down what I am feeling when I bring leppy outside of my room at night and what I am feeling... So she gets a better idea on why this is happening now.

Anyways I think you can close this.

Celyn March 8th 2019 09:31 PM

Glad to hear that you talked to your therapist about this and that she isn't going to stop you from doing these things.

I'll go ahead and close your thread but feel free to PM me if you want to re-open it :)

Unregistered September 13th 2020 11:57 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]I don’t know how to go about explaining to my moms what age regression is; I’ve tried to tell them that it’s a way for me to cope with a lot of things but they still associate it with k!nk...any advice on how to explain it so they understand??[/size][/color][/font]

Alisa Weaver September 17th 2020 11:27 AM

If I were you, I would not focus on such features. All people have their own oddities, and if everyone is taken to psychiatrists, then everyone will have one or another disorder. Our life is full of stress and we often act like children to protect ourselves from overexertion. This is normal.