TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   National 'I am in control' day (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t161496-national-i-am-control-day/)

Celyn March 30th 2021 05:31 PM

National 'I am in control' day

Our calendar states that today is National 'I am in control' Day!

I had no clue that this was a thing until I took to the internet and realised that the history of this day is rather interesting. The phrase originated from the US in 1981, on the day of attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagen, where, due to the critical situation the President was in, the Secretary of State made a statement of 'As of now, I am in control here...' More information on this day can be found here.

Since then, the day has become a chance to take control of things in our lives. This could mean educationally, such as being productive with essays, taking control of our finances (for example, budgeting), our living arrangements (decluttering), our physical health (committing to exercise and a healthy diet) or mental health (engaging in therapy, sticking to medication etc). In fact, just about anything in our lives that we have some responsibility or influence over, we can make or take steps to make decisions that allow us to take control.

So, on this day, what can you do or start to do that will allow you to say to yourself 'I am in control'?

Everglow. March 30th 2021 09:22 PM

Re: National 'I am in control' day

This is a really great idea for a thread, and something I'd never heard of either! Thank you for sharing this.

This was not today, but yesterday. I had a huge clear up of a lot ofmess which I'd put off tidying for a long time, and now I do feel more in control and more free. I also remember reading/hearing about a good way to stay in control of tasks, because sometimes small tasks are the ones which you put off, and they build up and make you feel overwhelmed. The idea was that if a task takes less than 5 minutes to do, do it right away. I try to do this now, whether it's taking a cup out to wash up, folding some laundry, or taking the rubbish down. If it takes less than 5 minutes, I can do it and feel like I have stayed in control and achieved something. :)

Dawn. March 31st 2021 06:58 AM

This is a really good thread! :)

So today, I am in control from now on as to how I let people treat me.

Sprite-1 March 31st 2021 11:59 AM

Up to today I've been in control of small tasks and kitchen tasks, happy with Ted as we plan to do things this coming Easter weekend. Yes, I was in full control, happy that our home schooling / homework schedule was up to date and both of us had achieved high marks in our chosen the scholastic subjects.

And then Wendi told us she and Leonardo had visited the parents of that awful girl from our previous school and that her parents were sorrowful of their daughters' appalling behaviour towards us. I noted the plural.

"Daughters?" I asked. "She's an only child!"

"No," replied Leonardo. "Her coterie is in fact her sisters."

"Oh. Might have known," I said glumly as Ted reached up to take my hand. "So what did the parents say?"

"They're moving their daughters to the," he hesitated before drawing in a deep breath. "Their daughters will be starting the same school you and Ted will be going to. In September."

I felt my inner calm slip, and here I am pondering whether those sisters, 'the Coterie' will start their harassment again.

Wendi reassured me as if reading my mind. "The school you're going to has an absolutely totally zero bullying policy, so you and Ted will be fine. I promise." :)

"I hope so," I replied. Except I'm not entirely convinced.

But for today, I remain feeling good. In control. I felt Ted squeezing my hand and looked down. He smiled lovingly from his wheelchair.

"We are going, together. It won't be a battle because after surviving The Hole, anything else can be a pushover. We're fine!" He beamed and reached up to kiss me.

I agree. We've been together 4 years and are in control of our lives, together. :)

Rivière April 1st 2021 05:06 PM

I'm a bit late with this, but for me, my mum and I were taking control of our future and made the decision to move out.

DeletedAccount59 April 2nd 2021 02:06 PM

I'm trying every day to work harder at being a better person, holding myself more accountable, advocating for myself when needed. It's a long process, but I notice slight changes; even on the days I feel I've screwed up, I remember "two steps forward, one step backwards" and keep moving on. I brush the dust off, care for the "wounds" and strive to do/be better.

Ennui. April 4th 2021 01:19 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but I can start setting boundaries and saying no more.