TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/)
-   -   Do you have a mental illness? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-mental-health/t5975-do-you-have-mental-illness/)

Through-Glass February 26th 2009 04:45 PM

Re: Do you have a mental illness?

I have been diagnosed with Depression NOS and Generalized Anxiety, and when I was younger Seperation Anxiety (from which I still experience symptoms). Luckily, very few people know, so I have not had to experience any discrimination.

playpretend February 26th 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Have you had a mental illness?
I have been diagnosed as having severe depression and anxiety, and am on medication for both. I am in line to be evaluated for having ADHD, as well.

Quote:

Have you faced any discrimination for being mentally ill?
As far as depression and anxiety, no, other than ignorance.

I'm hesitant to say "as far as ADHD" seeing as it's still more or less up for debate, however, this is something that has set me apart from peers and other influences since childhood and it is something many people have responded very negatively to, including - possibly especially - teachers and adults.

The evaluation is in part to qualify me for accommodations, as I am very easily distracted by my environment and I cannot take oral exams (I can take the same test written and verbally, ace it written, flunk it verbally). Though I attend a charter school where I'm lucky enough to be given these accommodations without an official evaluation, I won't be so lucky later in life; the process is a lot more time consuming and requires a lot more patience than I could ever have imagined.

However, being given the accommodations at my school has opened the door to my being both teased and avoided. Even in 12th grade. You'd think people would grow up.

Quote:

Are there any positive things you have learned from having a mental illness?
Probably a greater sense of compassion, and the ability to pinpoint people who are going through or who seem to be going through what I've been through. I've gained a greater understanding of the idea that nothing is impossible, and I feel it's really returned me to the childhood sense of "You can be who/what you want to be"; I don't believe in external limitation, and being diagnosed has only increased the drive to be more, do more, etc. and surpass the limited expectations of me. I also feel it's strengthened and somewhat fueled the want to help people in the ways I never was.

To a degree, I feel I've learnt humility, as well, if even I need an occasional check on how to swallow my pride.

- Elliotte

Anonymous19 February 27th 2009 01:10 AM

borderline bi-polar with depression

LoveMeNot February 27th 2009 09:05 PM

I marked myself as "I think" because I do believe I suffer from depression and a couple others but I'm undiagnosed. It could all be in my head though.
so No I' havent been diagnosed.

Drey February 27th 2009 09:39 PM

Yes, I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (though that has also been labelled as schizophrenia and bipolar all at the same time), social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and dysthymia.
These are my current diagnosis' but they change alot (especially the Schizophrenia, Borderline, Bipolar) depending on how my psychiatrist feels that day and if he's actually paying attention or not.

Have I experiences discrimination? Yes, from friends, family (a lot), and in the hospital as well, oh and did I mention family. It really shows you who your true friends are that's for sure. The ones who actually stick by you and truly do care, not the ones who flee as soon as you tell them you actually have a problem.

glittermist February 27th 2009 09:50 PM

I voted 'I think..' because i am quite certain there are a few things mentally wrong with me even though i have never been diagnosed. I have very obsessive habits so i think i have OCD and it affects my life severely =/ I also believe i have Social Anxiety Disorder because social situations make me very nervous, stressed, depressed, and i have a lot of horrible physical symptoms which never seem to be diagnosed through regular tests which lead me to believe they are the result of a mental illness(social anxiety). I also think i have mild depression.

DearlyBeloved February 28th 2009 12:18 AM

Not diagnosed but depression and anxiety. Never had the money or the chance to go to a doctor unfortunately.

Alicia February 28th 2009 09:28 PM

Yes I have. Major Depressive Disorder (or something similar, they've never actually told me for sure) and Social Anxiety Disorder(This one is getting better, now it's mostly performance anxiety).
I honestly can't think of anything positive I've learned from having a mental illness except for the fact that I've become very understanding about other people.

Trickmatic March 1st 2009 02:31 AM

I've been diagnosed with both depression and anxiety.

I feel that I have been discriminated by my peers leading to social phobias.

I've just been able to learn more about mental illnesses and how actions can affect people differently.

Aberrant March 1st 2009 03:58 AM

Yes. I've been diagnosed with Depression, Social Anxiety, symptoms of Generalized Anxiety and PSTD.
Not really, I don't tell people that much however.
Yes, actually. I'm in recovery now and I'm learning a lot of new coping strategies and ways to deal with things, so that. and basically, when it comes to mental health it's okay. No matter what you're feeling, it's aright to feel it.

ThePunkAlien March 7th 2009 05:39 AM

Also one thing I forgot to add. I don't think it's a mental illness, but it's kinda like it. I'm a serious hot head. I get REALLY angry at times to threateningly scary levels.

I'm that silent time bomb guy who could explode. For that very reason I try to maintain my anger because if it comes out I become the Hulk.

So far it's only come out in verbal levels (like Christian Bale's rant on Terminator set) and I've seen it come out once at a near lethal degree. So, wherever that fits -

Ticking time bomb.... which I hate, btw, but I have spent time trying to learn how to control. Plus any incident that could possibly result in me feeling angry & vengeful, I try to ignore as best as possible. So while I'm working out of the social shell form of the schizoid, think the risk of going dark side will always be there.

Ironically as a writer, it also helps being a bit 'disturbed.' Comically my regular self is very Bruce Banner: small silent and dork type.

The characters I relate to: Griffin (Jumper), Lex Luthor (Smallville), Eddie Brock (Spider-Man), Anakin Skywalker (Star Wars), Bruce Banner (The Hulk)... that probably says something -

CageCardinal March 7th 2009 06:32 PM

I have friends with depression telling me to get checked out but...I don't know. My parents think I'm fine and I'm far too nervous to do it.

thethatgirl March 7th 2009 07:32 PM

depends what you meen by diagnosed really

DoesThisLookInfected? March 7th 2009 08:51 PM

Yes, AD-Mild H-D, and Tourette's (It's not actually Tourette, but it's in the same category and people don't understand what I actually have, so I just called it Tourette). Still have both.
I get called twitch, because I do. But most people stop making fun of me when they realize that I actually have Tourettes. Others make fun of me more. But no actual discrimination, just harassment
Not really, because I've had them for as long as I remember

MadPoet March 7th 2009 09:21 PM

Well, when I went to the doctors today I got a prescription for medication for depression, so I'm assuming that means I have depression. So, I voted yes.

Prozac March 7th 2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thethatgirl (Post 74915)
depends what you meen by diagnosed really

By diagnosed, I mean diagnosed by a professional (such as a doctor or psychiatrist).

llamasliketoparty March 7th 2009 10:52 PM

i've been diagnosed bi-polar, depressed, add... :P lol

stylishxmissy March 8th 2009 03:26 AM

Yep.
I can't really describe mine, but it really gets hold of me sometimes. :(

thethatgirl March 8th 2009 08:18 AM

im getting treatment from my shrink but it seems every so often she changes her mind what its for ...?

Entities March 8th 2009 02:39 PM

I have got a blanket diagnosis: " Psychotic disorder with Manic and depressive mood swings." I don't think she wants to actually give me the definitive diagnosis.

Only got diagnosed a few days ago. But some of my friends like to use the term psychotic and psycho as one. So I'm now a "psycho"

I suppose it's made me more accepting of others. And I think it's made me want to go into the health care profession even more.

JenniferxMarie March 8th 2009 10:37 PM

I have been diagnosed with depression and mood swings.
I went to go get back put on medication but my state provided insurance
is taking long and might not approve it.
which i think is ridiculous they approve everything else, and it takes months to get
medication to level my moods?

Barbed Lungs March 8th 2009 10:39 PM

Yes, I've been diagnosed with depression.

Kathey March 12th 2009 08:56 PM

Depression and anxiety here, too.

i_am_me_again March 12th 2009 08:58 PM

I voted yes, because I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia & borderline personality disorder

WashoutThePain March 12th 2009 09:30 PM

A counselor I spoke to told me I seemed depressed, and I guess I could probably classify as being depressed. I try not to think I have mental illnesses... I voted for the I think I might have one but haven't been diagnosed.
-Amy

Adam March 12th 2009 10:55 PM

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Synesthesia
Depression (Bi-Polar)
Social Anxiety Disorder
Paranoia

But you know what, I'm proud. That is who I am, that is me inside. I wouldn't say I'm 'Ill' either.

Adam.

i_am_me_again March 12th 2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 80746)

But you know what, I'm proud. That is who I am, that is me inside. I wouldn't say I'm 'Ill' either.

I completely agree with that quote.

kimvia March 14th 2009 12:55 AM

I have ADD, Depression, and OCD.

everylastbit March 14th 2009 04:12 AM

Yes I've been diagnosed with a mental illness. I originally had a diagnosis of depression in 2006 but then it became a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder in August 2008. Good luck to everyone, and remember to stay strong, whether you've been diagnosed or not.

carrotgirl March 23rd 2009 07:06 PM

i feel like i do have, but i havent been diagnosed.

BardofSongs March 23rd 2009 09:46 PM

I've been diagnosed as both depressed and PPD. (psychopathic personality disorder) And I find both hilarious. Mental "illness" is a perspective. You know the old saying, "The difference between sanity and insanity depends which side of the glass window you're standing on." While I'm sure many of you feel that your disorders are serious issues that you have been stricken with because of genetics, atmosphere, or personal experience, there's nothing that can't be overcome with will power.

I got over my depression by setting out some goals that actually mattered to me. It wasn't easy, but I got it done. You all can too. I've had a doctor look me in the eyes and call me a Sociopath, and to be honest, it hurt. But it was also extremely funny because I didn't care.

Label and diagnose away, in my opinion. I'm still happy and nothing can change that.

Venitia March 23rd 2009 11:28 PM

I've been officially diagnosed with Clinical Depression with psychosis and an anxiety disorder *it was not specified as to which kind*. I also have an eating disorder and possible PTSD (I say possible because it has not been brought to my psychologists attention and has not been officially diagnosed).
I have been through a bit of discrimination, some of which was a bit harsh...But I'm still alive and kicking, and that's what counts I suppose...
I'm not exactly sure as to what positive things I've learned. I'll reflect on that a bit later.

Mixtape91 March 23rd 2009 11:49 PM

Given a chance, everyone's mentally ill.
Who honsetly can define the word NORMAL?
hahaha
yep, I answered YESSS

Erti March 28th 2009 11:26 PM

I was dignosed with a few mental illnesses. About a month ago I was at a mental health clinic and they had dignosed me with Post Tramatic Stress Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder. They refered me to a councelor and she said from when we've meet for the past couple of days... a dignoses but not really... she mention depression with a mixture of anxiety and adjustment disorder. Basically I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. They think I have another Personality disorder. Something from cluster A.

drowningangel March 29th 2009 02:31 AM

Yes, I have been diagnosed with mental health disorders.

- OCD (more O than C :bleh:)
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Moderate Depression
- Insomnia

13242131 March 29th 2009 05:54 AM

yes i have a mental illness...(i think i have others than depression but you know)

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU March 29th 2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixtape91 (Post 91421)
Given a chance, everyone's mentally ill.
Who honsetly can define the word NORMAL?
hahaha
yep, I answered YESSS

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13242131 (Post 96691)
yes i have a mental illness...(i think i have others than depression but you know)

Care to elaborate as to what you two may have/think you have?

sturmeskind March 30th 2009 10:03 AM

Yes. I was diagnosed to have an anxiety disorder when I was about 16. Went to hospital, took evil medication for two years and basically learned to cope. Never going to be quite alright, though.

Yeah... I guess. My symptoms attracted quite a bit of attention and people didn't understand.

Yes. It made me stronger. It taught me not to judge people by what they appear to be. And that there's always hope.

.Sarah. March 30th 2009 10:17 AM

I have been diagnosed with Chronic insomnia. Also, I think I have Depression, amongst other things, like Anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Which have yet to be diagnosed.

Redeemer March 30th 2009 06:52 PM

I voted yes - I'm bi-polar.