TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Do I have anorexia? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t116036-do-i-have-anorexia/)

mtaylorr11 February 16th 2013 08:54 PM

Do I have anorexia?

I'm really scared I might have anorexia. I have all the symptoms, but I don't purge. My only thing is, I eat. I don't eat alot. One or two meals a day. My portions are really tiny. Does this mean that I have anorexia or no?

Coffee. February 16th 2013 09:43 PM

Re: Do I have anorexia?

Hey there,

Welcome to TeenHelp! I'm glad to see you've reached out for help your eating habits, that takes a lot of courage. :hug:

Unfortunatly,nobody here on TeenHelp can diagnose you with any eating disorder, we do not have that type.of medical authority. What I can tell you is that if you are suffering, you deserve to get yourself help. You nay not have anorexia, it could be another eating disorder in the EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) zone, but that does not.mean it is any less serious. I'd recommend reaching out to an adult you trust, maybe an advisor, counsellor, teacher or parent and tell them what is going on. They can bring you to the medical personnel that can give you the help you need.

Good luck, stay strong!

Cassie999 February 22nd 2013 10:35 PM

Eating one meal a day isn't necessarily an eating disorder, it could just be bad habits. But if you only eat one meal because of weight reasons then you have an eating disorder, Eat 3 meals a day or at least 2 meals a day.

xXcanthelpmyselfXx March 3rd 2013 11:08 PM

We cannot diagnose but even though anorexia is about starving the body, most anoretics eat what they consider to be "safe foods" because even they realize it is an impractical goal to eat absolutely nothing. You cannot sustain yourself without some kind of nutrients.

Just Peachy. March 4th 2013 04:48 PM

We can't diagnose you for reasons mentioned above. I do have to ask you how you know you have the symptoms? Because self diagnosis isn't always the best. ED's, or even bad eating habits need to be addressed professionally. If you really just have bad eating habits, then a nutritionist can help you sort out those habits and create healthy ones. If it is in fact an eating disorder, then other treatment might have to be considered. But to come to any of this, you need to let someone know-your parents. That way you can get in to see a doctor and take care of the problem at hand.

Always * March 4th 2013 04:53 PM

As it has already been mentioned we cannot be the ones to diagnose you, you will need to talk to a professional to work this out. But we would be happy to support you :)

If you are showing signs of having an eating disorder and your now realizing that you might need some help you should definitely talk to a professional. Anorexia is not the only kind of eating disorder out there and you might have an eating disorder that does not fall directly into the most commonly known 3 (anorexia, bulimia nervosa and binge eating) but it could be none the less. If you are concerned talk to a dietician or a doctor :)