TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Do I have an eating disorder? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t142655-do-i-have-eating-disorder/)

The Sloth December 21st 2015 01:57 PM

Do I have an eating disorder?

I've recently realised I don't actually eat very often - I find I frequently skip eating for a day or two or will only eat one meal in a day. This is either because I don't want to put the effort in to make food or because I like the awkward hungry/numb feeling not eating provides.

Despite not 'actually' being overweight, I usually feel like I am and like I need to lose weight or at least have a better figure.

Also, I absolutely hate eating when I'm with people or when other people can see me eat - friends or strangers. This means when I do go out I avoid eating, even if everyone else is.

Sorry if this didn't make a lot of sense, and I know you can't diagnose online, I was just wondering if this is something I should probably talk to someone about.

CrusadingAvenger December 22nd 2015 01:22 AM

Re: Do I have an eating disorder?

Hello there,

I believe you may be developing signs of an eating disorder. Since you find yourself skipping meals for a day or two, as well as eating only one meal for a whole day, this is a possible symptom you have for an eating disorder. The need to lose weight due to feeling that you are "fat" when you're not and being uncomfortable eating around friends/strangers are also possible symptoms that may point to the development of an eating disorder. It's not for certain that you are definitively developing an eating disorder, and because of that, you should consult a doctor about this.

In case you have an eating disorder, know that there are treatment plans that can be tailored to suit your needs. I would also recommend that you talk to your parents about this so that they are aware. You would also need them to take you to the doctors in order to get examined and possibly diagnosed.

I wish you all the best with your situation, and I hope everything will turn out okay. Take care of yourself, and happy holidays.

-Batman

DeletedAccount11 December 23rd 2015 04:21 AM

Hey there. :)

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with eating issues and your self-image. A negative self-image can certainly be upsetting enough to drive a person to unhealthy behaviors which is why it is positive and brave that you recognize this may be an issue, and are reaching out about it. I'm happy you reached out here because it's a big step.

Only eating one meal in a day is quite unhealthy for your body because you need more food than that. Vitamins, nutrients and proteins all nourish your body in all sorts of ways, and helps you maintain energy along with a more stable mood. Think of eating as taking care of yourself and being kind to your body because eating is a basic way of doing just that. Your body allows you to do all sorts of things including, well, mobility. :p It gives you energy and it has the ability to fight off most things like potential colds and other illnesses which is why it needs food to help it do what it does best.

As you know, none of us can tell you whether or not you have an eating disorder but I will say that your habits are concerning and lean towards eating disordered behaviors. Which is why I'd certainly say that this is worth talking about with your doctor and perhaps seeking therapy if you find it too difficult to get into healthy habits of eating enough meals. Seeing a dietitian could be a good idea in this case to form a meal plan. In the meantime, is there anyone you can talk to in your personal life for support? As Mark mentioned, it may be a good idea to talk to your parents about this.

Would it help to slowly fit proper meals into each day? You can start by eating something light around meal times where you don't usually eat. Such as a light salad and fruits. Then you could begin including other foods and having a variety during each week. Eating enough and finding a healthy balance is important. Lack of food can actually slower your metabolism as well. Is it possible to fit exercise into your schedule? You mention how one of the reasons that you don't eat is because you'd like a better figure. The thing about exercise is that it has many health benefits and it can improve your overall mood, just like the right amount of healthy foods do. Eating enough food and exercising when you can will help you be healthier and hopefully happier.

Eating in front of other people can cause you to be quite a bit anxious, and since you are likely around others often it can get in the way of a lot of important meals. Do you think you can work on tackling your issue with eating around others? Slowly easing out of your comfort zone by eating with one person whom you're close to and are comfortable with would be a good start. Then you can move on to eating around a few family members, then public places that aren't very crowded. Focusing on other aspects during a meal may ease some of your anxiety due to redirecting your thoughts. Focusing on a bracelet you are wearing, or the taste of the food for example.

Lastly, I just want to remind you that your physical self doesn't determine your actual beauty. Wanting to lose weight is okay and good, but as long as you do it healthy while being kind to yourself, you know? The beauty that matters is within. I bet you have a lot of wonderful personality qualities and those around you who appreciate you, for you, are the ones that see the real you; the real beauty. What matters is what's within, not what's on the outside.

Hope this helped somewhat. Stay strong, stay safe and be kind to yourself. Let me know if you need someone to talk to. :hug:

The Sloth December 23rd 2015 10:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up not being able to sleep after I posted the thread because I was super anxious and depressed or whatever. Anyway, about halfway through the night I messaged one of my friends and was able to explain some of what I was feeling which really helped. She also suggested that she could help remind me to eat food throughout the day if I wanted.

I found that talking to someone - both online and with a close friend - about it helped me release the pressure of having to keep it a secret.

So yeah, thanks everyone

DeletedAccount2 December 23rd 2015 06:24 PM

Sorry, I can't really help much but I just wanted to say that I agree with everyone above and I hope it will all go well for you. Good luck! :)

lm. December 24th 2015 05:41 AM

Just to add another idea: Depression can cause a person to eat too much or too little. So if you've been diagnosed with depression, it might be another factor to consider when looking at your eating habits. (Especially if you forget to eat or if you feel like you don't have the energy to eat)
Anyways, I agree with the posters above. We can't diagnose you, but it seems like you may be showing signs of an eating disorder. It might be a good idea to look into getting some help in order to make your eating habits healthier and to deal with any issues that may be causing them.
I think it's great that you've found a friend to talk to! Having a support system and someone to talk things out with can be so helpful. Take care. :)

Always * December 26th 2015 07:13 PM

I am glad to hear that since posting this, you have spoken to a friend and that this has proven to be helpful. I can't say for sure if you have an eating disorder, but what you have described is definitely inline with the kinds of behaviours and thinking that are found in ED's. Having support from us online (and others), as well as your friend is a great start, as is coming here and telling us that you think something is wrong with your habits. Admitting it is honestly one of the hardest parts in my experience.
If you're ready, there are many ways that you can begin to explore ways to be healthier, both mentally so that your thoughts around your body image and stuff like that won't affect you so negatively, and physically, such as eating and exercising in healthier manners. If you're interested, you can PM me and we can always talk about it more, I'd love to help