TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Do I have an Eating Disorder? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t146204-do-i-have-eating-disorder/)

Ejdav172 July 2nd 2016 11:35 PM

Do I have an Eating Disorder?

I am very underweight, you can see a few of my ribs and my spine. I don't eat a lot, I get full quickly and feel sick if I eat too much. I throw up if I am scared or nervous. I love sweet things, like sweets and fruit but I like healthy salads too. mum throws sweet stuff and snacks out to try to encourage me to eat meals but I just skip meals instead. I don't eat if I'm hungry, a I barely ever get hungry, eating is an inconvenience I controlled long ago.
My diet is far from balanced or regular, but I just cant eat more with out feeling sick or like I am being pressured by my mother to eat more.
My friend pretended to have an eating disorder and it really got to me, I keep thinking that I am pretending to have one too, even though I am forced to go to the nutritionist but she is no help.
Do I have an eating disorder?

Proud90sKid July 3rd 2016 03:12 AM

Re: Do I have an Eating Disorder?

It isn't an eating disorder unless you are consciously or semi-consciously restricting your caloric intake for the purpose of unhealthy weight control. Not eating because of simply not getting hungry, or not being hungry for the "healthy" foods that are available is not an eating disorder. Lack of hunger has many causes- some psychological and some physical. A common psychological cause is having high anxiety. If you are anxious all the time, you may never be in the mood to eat- which is different from anorexia- as it has a different cause. I have this problem- where I get so absorbed in anxiety that I won't have the motivation to eat. When you are anxious, your body releases more adrenaline and stress hormones- which have the effect of causing stomach discomfort and lack of appetite. If you have an untreated anxiety disorder, this can cause long-term lack of appetite and weight loss.

But if your ribs are showing, you should see a different doctor to get to the reason as to why you aren't ever hungry.

Coffee. July 3rd 2016 04:15 PM

Is your skipping meals intentional and for a specific purpose of weight-loss? If not, I would also say you probably do not have an eating disorder. (Keep in mind, nobody on TeenHelp can diagnose you with one, we can simply make observations) I'd actually recommend you see a nutritionist or doctor, specifically about frequently not feeling hungry and the throwing up after meals when you're nervous. I'd also talk to your mom about keeping foods in the house that you like, even if the sugar content is higher than she'd like. Fruit is a great alternative to other sweets, but maybe also see if she'd get you some chocolate protein shakes or other sweet yet healthy foods. Good luck!

MunGeul July 14th 2016 04:23 PM

I think you have problems with the intestines or stomach

KimBom July 14th 2016 04:24 PM

My sister eats like you

bella14donna July 14th 2016 04:25 PM

It's normal for teen