TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Medication and ED (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t155527-medication-eating-disorder-s/)

DeletedAccount69 April 6th 2018 02:00 PM

Medication and ED

I am on a medication that causes appetite suppressant. I have been on it for years and the side effect ends up going away but ... it's said to cause 'anorectic effects'. I know it will fade but it's kind of triggering my ed. I cannot go off the medication because it's one of the only one's that has balanced me out.

I am trying to remind myself to eat at least a little bit once a day. I sometimes find myself thinking ... you haven't eaten and you should just not today. I had that happen yesterday and so I told my boyfriend I was hungry and we ate something.

He knows I haven't been eating as much but I haven't really told him that it's causing me to want to get back into starvation.

I know this medication helped me a lot back when I was initially in my ED and by the time it wore off I was still struggling but my appetite went away.

I don't want that to happen but I have a weight loss goal or the year and this not eating will help and I am torn.

Anyone have advice? I can talk to my doctor about coping as I have an appointment but I can't get in with a therapist till next month due to an issue with income. I also cannot go off the medication so I need to figure it out. I am thinking of putting a reminder in my phone.

I am still eating but usually only one meal a day or just little bits here and there because I just am not hungry.

Celyn April 10th 2018 04:29 PM

Re: Medication and ED

Don't have any advice, sorry, but do think it's best to talk to your doctor. I also think that putting a reminder in your phone can help, or perhaps getting your boyfriend a bit more involved in gentle reminders to eat, if he has noticed you are eating less.

If you're not hungry, then it's bound to be annoying trying to get yourself to eat. Small meals and eating bits throughout the day is better than nothing. Perhaps slowly try to increase this?

DeletedAccount69 April 10th 2018 09:46 PM

I think my appetite might have come back a bit. That might change after tomorrow as I imagine my doctor is going to increase the medication. However, if it only lasts a few weeks I should be able to keep myself healthy. I was just getting worried that it was going to last longer since it had in the past. If it lasted too long I could have seen it fueling my ED.

Thank you for taking the time to respond though. That definitely meant a lot.

Celyn April 11th 2018 01:38 PM

It makes sense that you would be concerned about the length of time it lasted, and understandable that it could end up fuelling your ED. Hope the doctor can help though.

Keep us updated if it helps :)

random.swirls April 11th 2018 09:19 PM

Re: Medication and E

It is understandable that you are concerned about it fuelling your ED. Maybe you could see if your DR could do frequent medication reviews. I think putting a reminder on your phone to eat is a good idea, also to add to that you could put your reminders to eat at similar times each day .

DeletedAccount69 April 12th 2018 03:54 PM

He didn't change my medication. We left everything the same which was a bit disappointing as I don't think I am as balanced as I should be. That being said, my appetite has gone back to normal-ish. For now I think it should be fine.

Thank you both for the responses. :)