TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Normal weight (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t159690-normal-weight/)

Odyne January 10th 2020 07:48 AM

Normal weight

Hey

I'm struggling with anorexia and I've had the diagnosis for almost 10 years. But I've reached my goal weight and I'm currently at a normal weight.
But I feel like people dont take my eating disorder serious, because I'm not underweight.
I feel like people think I'm not sick anymore and that I'm too fat to have an eating disorder.
An eating disorder is a mental illness, weight doesnt mean anything.
I'm worse than I've been in years.

Others that can relate?

DeletedAccount63 January 10th 2020 04:04 PM

Re: Normal weight

Hey Lucy,
I'm sorry you are struggling with your eating disorder.I know it may seem like you are "too fat" to have an eating disorder because you are at a normal weight and that isn't true at all. Honestly it doesn't matter what other people think, you know if you are struggling or not.

I currently am obese but am relapsing with my eating disorder at the moment yes people are probably not going to realize that I have an eating disorder because of my weight but that doesn't mean I don't have one.

I really think you need to find a therapist that specializes in eating disorders and maybe a nutritionist as well. I believe you have said you have a therapist for a different reason, and that is great but since it seems like you have been struggling a lot with this I think a specialized ED therapist will be able to help you a lot better.

If you ever need to talk you can always pm or send me a VM.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Silvan January 12th 2020 06:35 AM

Dear Lucy,
I can't relate to the ED myself, but I'd like to throw in my two cents anyway.

You've said that people don't take your illness seriously, because you don't look the way they would expect someone with ED to. This is an unfair and stigmatising judgement. People who've never had any contact with mental illnesses often have a misconception of how they work. They cannot imagine one is ill if it is not visible. I am depressed and this also affects me.
I believe the best way to change it is to educate people (which is going on in many countries at the moment) and TALK ABOUT IT. People will know hardly anything about mental illnesses as long as they are treated as tabu. Try not to be shy about your ED (easier said than done, I know). It's an illness like many others, and you should be helped, not appraised.

Lucy, all the best fighting ED. I know you're gonna get better soon.
xoxo S

Odyne January 13th 2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glass Slipper (Post 1348377)
Hey Lucy,
I'm sorry you are struggling with your eating disorder.I know it may seem like you are "too fat" to have an eating disorder because you are at a normal weight and that isn't true at all. Honestly it doesn't matter what other people think, you know if you are struggling or not.

I currently am obese but am relapsing with my eating disorder at the moment yes people are probably not going to realize that I have an eating disorder because of my weight but that doesn't mean I don't have one.

I really think you need to find a therapist that specializes in eating disorders and maybe a nutritionist as well. I believe you have said you have a therapist for a different reason, and that is great but since it seems like you have been struggling a lot with this I think a specialized ED therapist will be able to help you a lot better.

If you ever need to talk you can always pm or send me a VM.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Hi, thanks for your reply
I’m in treatment for schizophrenia, but they also help me with ED.
They just dont know what to do. They’ve tried giving me more meds, but it didnt work.
I dont know why its so bad atm :(

Odyne January 13th 2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matter (Post 1348431)
Dear Lucy,
I can't relate to the ED myself, but I'd like to throw in my two cents anyway.

You've said that people don't take your illness seriously, because you don't look the way they would expect someone with ED to. This is an unfair and stigmatising judgement. People who've never had any contact with mental illnesses often have a misconception of how they work. They cannot imagine one is ill if it is not visible. I am depressed and this also affects me.
I believe the best way to change it is to educate people (which is going on in many countries at the moment) and TALK ABOUT IT. People will know hardly anything about mental illnesses as long as they are treated as tabu. Try not to be shy about your ED (easier said than done, I know). It's an illness like many others, and you should be helped, not appraised.

Lucy, all the best fighting ED. I know you're gonna get better soon.
xoxo S

Thaaanks for your reply!
And youre right! Just embarassed. I feel so fat.
But yeah, maybe I should talk about it.

DeletedAccount63 February 4th 2020 11:58 PM

I know you said that they are helping you with your Ed, but I think since it’s a big issue right now that you should talk to them about maybe getting a second therapist that specializes it eating disorders and then both therapist can work together to try and get you on the right track.
Your Friend,
Frankie

Latte February 5th 2020 01:33 AM

I can absolutely relate. I've struggled with bulimia for years and years and years - the exact onset is debatable. It might've started when I was 11 or 12 (I'm 28 now, so you do the math), but it might've started closer to when I was 20 or 21. Any ways, I've never been thin though. I've always either been a "normal" weight or overweight. My relationship to food, body image, exercise, etc. are extremely complex and can be incredibly dysfunctional. But you can bet that no one notices because I don't look sick. Even when you look at the criteria to be diagnosed, so often it's about the physical symptoms, as opposed to be severe mental/cognitive/emotional aspects that truly drive it. I think our conversations about eating disorders are changing, but it's slow going.

Fact of the matter is that neither of us can change how people perceive us. What I wonder is what it would mean to you for people to understand that your anorexia is worse than ever? You mention feeling fat, at the same time you also say you're (at least technically) at a normal weight, which tells me that maybe there is some disconnect. Body dysmorphia, maybe?

Are you still in touch with a nutritionist and a psychotherapist? If not, I would certainly reach out to them. While it sucks that people don't know your sick, to me, the desire to have people know that reads as you needing people to help you, it reads like you're someone who's struggling to manage on your own and that it's time to reach out for help because your existing toolkit of healthy strategies sound strained and people can't see that because they think you're healthy. If you need to talk, please PM me.

Odyne February 6th 2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glass Slipper (Post 1349426)
I know you said that they are helping you with your Ed, but I think since it’s a big issue right now that you should talk to them about maybe getting a second therapist that specializes it eating disorders and then both therapist can work together to try and get you on the right track.
Your Friend,
Frankie

Thanks for reply, Frankie <3

That would be a great idea, but I sadly dont think it’s possible in the system.
But they’re really trying to help me.

:hug:

Odyne February 6th 2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latte (Post 1349429)
I can absolutely relate. I've struggled with bulimia for years and years and years - the exact onset is debatable. It might've started when I was 11 or 12 (I'm 28 now, so you do the math), but it might've started closer to when I was 20 or 21. Any ways, I've never been thin though. I've always either been a "normal" weight or overweight. My relationship to food, body image, exercise, etc. are extremely complex and can be incredibly dysfunctional. But you can bet that no one notices because I don't look sick. Even when you look at the criteria to be diagnosed, so often it's about the physical symptoms, as opposed to be severe mental/cognitive/emotional aspects that truly drive it. I think our conversations about eating disorders are changing, but it's slow going.

Fact of the matter is that neither of us can change how people perceive us. What I wonder is what it would mean to you for people to understand that your anorexia is worse than ever? You mention feeling fat, at the same time you also say you're (at least technically) at a normal weight, which tells me that maybe there is some disconnect. Body dysmorphia, maybe?

Are you still in touch with a nutritionist and a psychotherapist? If not, I would certainly reach out to them. While it sucks that people don't know your sick, to me, the desire to have people know that reads as you needing people to help you, it reads like you're someone who's struggling to manage on your own and that it's time to reach out for help because your existing toolkit of healthy strategies sound strained and people can't see that because they think you're healthy. If you need to talk, please PM me.

Thanks for your reply, lovely <3
And you’re so right. It’s just hard with “She’s not thin anymore, she must be recovered” thing. :(
Glad you understand.

I could ask, but I dont think they will. You know, money.
But they’re trying their best at the schizophrenia-clinic

Hugs :hug:

Odyne March 10th 2020 03:54 PM

Eating is still hard, but I'm really fighting, so I get more food than before.
It's just hard :( And my dad still thinks I've "recovered" just bacause I'm not underweight...

johnysamy April 8th 2020 10:00 AM

That is some good advice :)

anaanxious April 16th 2021 04:46 AM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]this is 100% me. nobody takes me seriously because im obviously not about to die of starvation if im not underweight. people need to get that it is a state of your mind and habits, not your body.[/size][/color][/font]