TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   I don't think I have an eating disorder. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t75166-i-dont-think-i-have-eating-disorder/)

brokensmilexx May 26th 2011 12:23 AM

I don't think I have an eating disorder.

I went to a guidance counselor about depression a few weeks ago and long story short I got an actual counselor and he thinks that I have an eating disorder, if not close to one.
Part of me says its a possibility and I should get help, but for the most part I'd rather just forget that whole thing.
I don't starve myself, or throw up intentionally..It just seems to happen when I eat.
Is there a problem with wanting to lose weight? With not being fully satisfied with your body? I don't think so. Everyone has flaws they don't like.
I do exercise everyday, but not over the top.
I don't eat much, but why eat when I'm not hungry?
I do watch what I eat.. and I do really hate myself when I gain weight or eat a lot of fatty food.
I don't want help with something I don't feel the need to change.
I don't want people watching what I'm eating and stuff..I like what I'm doing right now (eating habits,exercising)...and part of me says that isn't right.
My parents know, cause I told them..and my mom mentioned that my dad always thought I didn't eat enough. Hah. And I'm headed to the doctors next week..
Does any body have any answers or advice? I don't even know what I was shooting for here..
Part of me wishes I didn't even tell anyone anything >.<

Sarahh9 May 26th 2011 02:41 AM

Re: I don't think I have an eating disorder.

Hey sara,
I obviously can't diagnose you, but I can give you my honest opinion. I don't think that you have a full-blown eating disorder, but you sound like you have an unhealthy mindset. You should never hate yourself for eating, no matter what it was. Its really really good that you went to go get help, and I think you should trust what your counsellor says. You also have to listen to your body though. You need food to survive, but if youre honestly not hungry, dont force yourself to eat. Just make sure you get a healthy number of calories in each day.

Part of you is saying that what youre doing isnt right. I bet theres more unhealthy habits that you have that arent fully explained here, and those could be the ones that are the most dangerous. Tell your counsellor exactly whats going on with your eating and exercising, and go from there, because he really knows best.

If you ever want someone to talk to about this kind of stuff, you can always talk to me :)

Just Peachy. May 26th 2011 08:24 AM

Hey there!

I, also, don't think that you have an Eating Disorder. I think that it's great you have counseling though. A good thing to do would be to focus less on the label, and more on the issues at hand. Meaning, your mindset is a bit unstable, so focus on stabilizing your mindset, rather then the label. Make sense? Sarah is right, you should never hate yourself for eating. Your body needs food to survive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with exercising and eating healthy. All in moderation. And if you're doing that, then you're fine. But like I said, it's the mindset that you want to worry about. And on a side note, you can always get a second opinion if that helps you at all. Maybe go to a doctor or a different counselor. You're allowed to do that. You sound somewhat close to your parents, so maybe bring up your concerns with them. Good luck! :D

brokensmilexx May 26th 2011 07:58 PM

Thanks you guys,
I talked to my counselor today and he was saying some of the same things you guys are (mindset and stuff)
I'm going to the doctor next week so hopefully I can figure out whats wrong with my stomach and go from there
Thanks again !

Just Peachy. May 26th 2011 08:00 PM

Let us know how it goes! :D

Angel May 26th 2011 08:08 PM

Have you told your counselor all the things that you've told us? Many women want to eat healthfully and lose weight, so it's become normal nowadays and can be a good thing. The only difference is, you shouldn't be hating yourself for what you eat. Healthy people know their limits and what is good and what is not. If a part of you thinks that something is off, it probably is. You know yourself better than anyone else does.

I hope the doctor's appointment goes well and that nothing is too wrong. x