TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Non-PG13: Not anorexia, but still an eating disorder... (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t117702-not-anorexia-but-still-eating-disorder/)

gabbydeben April 3rd 2013 07:08 PM

Not anorexia, but still an eating disorder...

Hey everyone! I need some help. Now, I don't have an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia or anything like that. In fact, I would never do that to myself, ever. But I do have a problem. My problem with eating is that I don't eat anything that is at all healthy, in the slightest. I eat next to no fruits (like a strawberry a day) and I only started eating them last week. I eat absolutely no vegetables, except corn. I don't like salad or most things that my mom makes for dinner. I'm 14 years old and really want to change this, because it has become embarrassing. My problem, though, is that I'll eat, say, one grape. Then I'll think to myself that that one grape is not going to improve my health at all, so why bother eating it? I'm starting to improve slowly but I could use all the help I can get in shaking my mindset and eating healthier. Thanks!

Coffee. April 4th 2013 12:54 AM

Re: Not anorexia, but still an eating disorder...

Hey Gabby,

I really don't think this constitutes an eating disorder at all, so that's good news! You're picky, and you're not eating healthy, and that doesn't make you a bad person! We all have foods that we don't like. However, this is a problem, since fruits and vegetables are the healthiest of the food groups and have necessary nutrients for your well-being. So I'm going to go with some tips for adding fruits and veggies in your diet.

First, I really like your "one a day" transition. Try just having one. Yes, one grape won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but t will start a habit, and that way, you'll be able to increase the serving size that you are eating and slowly be able to attain a taste for these foods.

Second, I would try a LOT of new foods, and by a lot I mean A LOT. Try everything. Try it made differently. For example, many people have only tried spinach cooked. Try it raw. Try salads with different dressings than want you've had. Even if the dressing is "unhealthy" (such as ranch), this will get you used to eating the vegetable, and slowly, you can add more of the veggies and less of the ranch. Basically, look up a book of different fruits and vegetables, and make it a goal to try as many as possible and try to find one that you like. I would expect that you'd like at least one, such as watermelon, pineapple, kiwis, SOMETHING.

Last, don't be so hard on yourself. We all have quirks, but you're trying to get better, and that's the first step! I didn't like a lot of vegetables, such as squash, for a very long time, but I've grown a taste for it. It's part of growing up and it starts with an open mind, as you have.

Because I think it's more fitting, I'm moving your thread to General Health. If you believe it fits more in ED, by all means, message myself or any other ED Mod. :)

Good luck!
Traci