TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Grey Hairs. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t160023-grey-hairs/)

Dawn. April 12th 2020 05:10 AM

Grey Hairs.

So for the past couple of years or so, I've noticed that I'm starting to get more and more grey hairs. Some of the time, the grey will start half way down my hair and because my hair is dark, it's even more noticeable. Does anyone have the same issue? I'm only 27 and I've got grey hairs. :nosweat:

Ennui. April 12th 2020 05:46 AM

Re: Grey Hairs.

My friend has silver/grey hairs but just in certain spots! It’s kind of cool actually. I don’t know what causes it though.

Resilient April 12th 2020 08:10 AM

I'm 28 and I have a few strands of grey hair, my sister who is 20, has a whole section of grey hair because she had some trauma when she was a child that resulted in some of her her hair, well, being forcibly removed from her scalp. She always jokes about it but because her hair is so long it's easy to hide.

I think it mostly hinges on genetics.

Dawn. April 13th 2020 04:09 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has grey hair pretty young. :nosweat:

Celyn April 16th 2020 06:26 PM

I found my first grey hair last year, when I was 26. It's right at the front. I got rid of that one but then it came back in the same place. I've just accepted it :p

It's probably genetics. My dad went mostly grey youngish too apparently. But I've also heard trauma and stress as a reason too.

Dawn. April 19th 2020 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celyn (Post 1352061)
I found my first grey hair last year, when I was 26. It's right at the front. I got rid of that one but then it came back in the same place. I've just accepted it :p

It's probably genetics. My dad went mostly grey youngish too apparently. But I've also heard trauma and stress as a reason too.

I pulled my first one out as well but it came back, plus more. :bleh: I've accepted it too.

Allyson Wood April 20th 2020 04:54 AM

Before, what I know is that having grey hair is a sign of aging but nowadays people having it becomes younger and younger so meaning it is not by age. "Grey hair is a combination of normally pigmented hairs interspersed with white ones. Hair turns white when the pigmentation cells responsible for color (melanin) stop being produced."

Dawn. May 3rd 2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allyson Wood (Post 1352184)
Before, what I know is that having grey hair is a sign of aging but nowadays people having it becomes younger and younger so meaning it is not by age. "Grey hair is a combination of normally pigmented hairs interspersed with white ones. Hair turns white when the pigmentation cells responsible for color (melanin) stop being produced."

I thought this was the case as well but I wasn't too sure. :hehe:

Rivière May 3rd 2020 12:24 PM

I've had grey hairs since I was 16. I'm nearly 29 and a redhead, so they're quite visible, especially at the sides and a little near the fringe area. After university they became much, much worse.

According to other people though, they apparently don't see it and that I'm just being overly conscious about how I look.

Mallika May 4th 2020 08:37 AM

Hello!!

Looks like this is something many people experience! From personal experience I think it has got to do with genetics as well. Also, I did a little Google search and researchers have definitely found evidence that there is a genetic component to it.

Like the other day my mom was saying that her mother (my grandma) did not develop grey hair until she was in her late 40's. My mom is in her late 40's and is only now beginning to show traces of grey hair. On the other hand, my dad has had grey hair since he was in his early thirties. Also, when I was in school, I had a senior who had very visible grey hair (interspersed with black hair) though she wasn't older than 16 back then. Looks like our individual genetic composition does contribute to greying of hair, at least to an extent.

Also, it appears that nutrient deficiencies (e.g. vitamin B12, D3, copper and iron) might be responsible. Perhaps you might want to check with a dietician on that front?

This link gives some tips to manage it: https://www.curejoy.com/content/causes-of-gray-hair/

In any case, this is who you are - so embrace yourself :) Grey locks (or silver locks as I like to call it!) are gorgeous in their own way :D

Dawn. May 9th 2020 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallika (Post 1352605)
Hello!!

Looks like this is something many people experience! From personal experience I think it has got to do with genetics as well. Also, I did a little Google search and researchers have definitely found evidence that there is a genetic component to it.

Like the other day my mom was saying that her mother (my grandma) did not develop grey hair until she was in her late 40's. My mom is in her late 40's and is only now beginning to show traces of grey hair. On the other hand, my dad has had grey hair since he was in his early thirties. Also, when I was in school, I had a senior who had very visible grey hair (interspersed with black hair) though she wasn't older than 16 back then. Looks like our individual genetic composition does contribute to greying of hair, at least to an extent.

Also, it appears that nutrient deficiencies (e.g. vitamin B12, D3, copper and iron) might be responsible. Perhaps you might want to check with a dietician on that front?

This link gives some tips to manage it: https://www.curejoy.com/content/causes-of-gray-hair/

In any case, this is who you are - so embrace yourself :) Grey locks (or silver locks as I like to call it!) are gorgeous in their own way :D

Thanks for the reply! I do take multi-vitamins every morning so it might be genetics. :bleh: