TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Braces! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t160144-braces/)

Ennui. May 27th 2020 09:10 PM

Braces!

If anyone here has had braces can you tell me your experience? I’ve been saving up and I think I have enough money to get them when everything opens back up! I’m so excited because I’ve always wanted them and thought I never would have the money to.

For those who were adults when they got theirs: Did people make fun of you or look at you funny for having them as an adult? I’m still going to get them but I want to be prepared.

Arabesque- golfing girl. May 28th 2020 01:53 PM

Re: Braces!

Hi Dez,

I wish you the best when you get them:) One of my friends had them when we we're ten years old and she loved gummy bears and couldn't eat them anymore. I found this article on braces and it has things in it that they say to try and stay away from. https://www.healthline.com/health/wh...at-with-braces
For the first few days the braces can hurt, then when you get used to them it is okay. This article talks about how they will feel in your mouth and what happens. https://www.authoritydental.org/do-braces-hurt

Sorry I do not know any adults who have them. I wish you the best with them:) Hugs

DeletedAccount59 May 29th 2020 08:14 PM

I first got braces when I was about nine or ten years old and had them removed when I was about 23.

There are a lot of things that come along with having braces, such as dietary restrictions as the poster above me stated.

When brushing your teeth, you need to be more mindful to get the areas around each brace and the wires.

You will need to get bands replaced and wires readjusted every month or so for as long as you have braces.

There's a possibility of the wires snapping and cutting into your mouth, which can be a real pain in the ass.

If it's absolutely not neccessary to have braces, I suggest not getting them. It's a lot of time and money to have them.

I would also suggest talking to your dentist too, find out what they think. They are best suited to give the feedback.

Celyn May 29th 2020 09:44 PM

I had braces between the ages of 15-16, and then retainers after that. I was worried about being bullied, since I was unpopular anyway, but no-one bullied me for it. I imagine that braces in adults may be less common, but I wouldn't think anyone would judge you for it. In fact, the technician where I had my braces fitted was herself wearing braces too. I think as well there are types of braces that are less visible, which you might want to check out if you are concerned.

Having braces was an interesting experience. Had x-rays taken first (I had over crowding and overlapping teeth) and then later had braces fitted. My mouth really ached the first couple of nights and it was weird getting used to them. Definitely invest in interdental toothbrushes to clean between the wires (I didn't and when my braces were taken off, you could see the marks beneath the wires but then the dentist cleaned my teeth up and they were fine after that). I had to go back every couple of months and they would tighten/adjust the wires. This meant that it would hurt again but it was only for a day or two. Eventually you really do just forget about them. Then came the elastic bands...I've forgotten the purpose but I would have an elastic band stretching from the top set of teeth to the bottom on both sides. That was fine but I'd recommend taking the bands out when eating because they can just snap and that's annoying. When I eventually had my braces removed, it felt very weird as I was so used to having braces. The downside was being fitted for a retainer. The mould thing was too big for my mouth and very uncomfortable. Definitely worth getting cleaning stuff for retainers (think it's similar stuff that cleans dentures). I wore retainers for years later but eventually stopped as I noticed the plastic at the back had started digging into my gum and irritating it.

Overall, the braces really helped my teeth and I'm really impressed by the results (though I did have bad teeth and had braces for free as a result). If your dentist is okay with it, and you want them and can afford them, then I see no problem.

Best of luck :)

Ennui. May 30th 2020 05:13 AM

I definitely get nagged by every dentist I ever encounter to get braces, haha. Basically I'm so overcrowded that I'm at a higher risk for cavities, so one dentist even described it as a medical necessity. Doesn't make it less expensive. :bleh: They also said that being so misaligned doesn't help with tooth grinding.

Can you find those interdental toothbrushes in a regular grocery store?

Dawn. May 30th 2020 11:16 AM

Hi Dez! :)

I had braces from 14-15 years old and from 12-13 years old I had a metal plate with two rods attached from the metal plate to two teeth on my lower jaw to make my lower jaw become more in line with my top jaw. I found the metal plate more painful than braces. The only thing that was painful about when I had my braces on was the metal wire shifted to one side and every time I smiled or laughed, my gum would get stuck on the wire so I would have to unhook my skin from the end of the wire and it was really painful but such a relief when the dentist fixed it for me. Maybe that might be something that you could mention to your dentist to prevent it from happening to you. I know a few people who had braces as adults and had the clear brackets. If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know. :)

Celyn May 30th 2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoons (Post 1353593)

Can you find those interdental toothbrushes in a regular grocery store?

I think so. My orthodontist sold some but I have seen them at supermarkets, drug stores and pharmacies. People without braces can use interdental toothbrushes instead of flossing as they are small enough to fit in between the teeth. Though there are different sizes, so you might want to ask your dentist or just buy a few different sizes and see which is a better fit for you. Not sure if there are ones specific for braces so that's worth looking into as well.

Kintsukuroi. May 30th 2020 04:52 PM

I had braces as a kid (when I turned 12) and so did my four siblings. Where I am, they were half covered by medical and then the remaining was paid out of pocket. There was a discount if you paid in full (the amount not covered by insurance) but they also had payment plans that you could use. I had many teeth removed because my mouth was overcrowded and had a retainer before I had braces which was covered by medical. It wasn’t so bad but I hated the green spacers they put in my mouth before I got the braces! I ate pretty normally but the first few days I definitely ate softer foods. I also ate all the same foods that I ate before but sometimes would cut the pizza crusts or something if they were hard and then was super careful when eating popcorn and then cleaned very well after. Other foods needed some precautions like corn on the cob (cutting off the corn), nuts at the back of my mouth away from the braces, same with hard veggies or fruits and they were cut into pieces rather than eating whole. No gum but I did eat mint or hard candy but kept it in the middle of my mouth away from my teeth and never chewed it.

The wire would sometimes poke out so I would use the wax that I got given to stop it from stabbing my cheek and then would get them to trim it. I would generally have appointments every 4-6 weeks depending on what I had done the last time or what needed to be done. I was lucky with my elastics that I only had to wear them at night minus two months where I wore them during the day. Definitely take them out when you’re eating and then replace them after because they can snap. And keep an extra baggy with you to replace them in case they snap.

It’s super important to make sure you brush and floss extremely well. My orthodontist supplied the tools for free (electric tooth brush, a water pic, proxabrushes, floss threaders, plaque chews, etc) and then at each appointment if we needed any supplies, we would just say so and get given them.

Honestly, after the first few weeks I got used to them and didn’t even notice them until I had to get them adjusted. My teeth did feel weird after I got them off though lol. I make sure to wear my retainers still at night (clear ones) to prevent my teeth from shifting back.

eaty May 30th 2020 05:40 PM

I swore I replied to this, but I guess I totally spaced. Whoops!

I had braces when I was like 17-18, and thankfully I only needed them for 9 months. But it was still something.

It was painful for like 2 days while my mouth adjusted. But honestly, dental wax is AMAZING for helping with that for the first week. You just put some on the braces to help prevent them from rubbing the inside of your cheeks raw. I also know people who had no issues with this.

I was given a whole set of stuff to help brush. I've also now seen the same things in the grocery store, the little brushes are AWESOME for getting between the wire and your teeth.

I was back in like every month or so for adjustments, mainly replacing the wire. And I remember the assistant suggested to me that I take like ibuprofen on those days before my appointment to help with the soreness. I DO NOT suggest that you just follow that advice blindly, ask your dentist if you should do that. Everyone is different. But I only had issues with it being sore when I first got them, and after every adjustment. Other than that? No big deal, I didn't mind my braces.

Uhh, that is all I can really think of. Feel free to talk to me anytime about braces, and I might be able to answer. Its been a long time XD

rosemiller February 9th 2021 11:43 AM

I also had braces because I had crooked teeth and now, after braces, I have a beautiful smile.