TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Birth control vs. pregnant (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t4694-birth-control-vs-pregnant/)

Grizabella February 12th 2009 06:20 PM

Birth control vs. pregnant

I'm not sure if this should go in pregnancy or in sex, but here goes.

I'm on birth control pills, and a lot of the time, they make me skip my period. Every month I get freaked out, because my period doesn't come, and I start thinking I must be pregnant. Other than the obvious taking a pregnancy test every month, are there ways to try to tell the difference between when your birthcontrol is causing skipped periods, and when it's an actual pregnancy? So far I've just been buying pregnancy tests every month, but that's starting to get expensive seeing as every time it turns out just to be my pills. Any other signs I can look for?

Lizzie February 12th 2009 06:28 PM

Re: Birth control vs. pregnant

If you are on a 21 or 28 pill cycle I am not sure you are supposed to be skipping months. You may need to talk to your doctor about this. Your periods should not be irregular (for the most part) when you are on the pill. And the fact that you are missing every other month might be cause for concern. Defiantly make an appointment with your doctor, they might want to switch your brands to something more stable.

Grizabella February 12th 2009 06:34 PM

I'm on 28 pills, and it said that it might take a couple months to stabilize, but seriously, it's getting ridiculous. I haven't noticed any other problems...I am going to see my doctor next week, I'll bring it up.

It's not that I'm completely skipping periods, they just always end up being very late, to the point that it really freaks me out.

Lizzie February 12th 2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizabella (Post 47551)
I'm on 28 pills, and it said that it might take a couple months to stabilize, but seriously, it's getting ridiculous. I haven't noticed any other problems...I am going to see my doctor next week, I'll bring it up.

It should take no more then three months for your period to become regular with the pills. So if it has been more then three months, then I still think you should see your doctor. Let us know how it goes though, so other teens in the same situation can see the outcome. Which I would guess would be a brand change.

Grizabella February 12th 2009 06:39 PM

Will do. Doctor appointment is in one week. I'll be sure to report back.

Algernon February 12th 2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizabella (Post 47530)
I'm not sure if this should go in pregnancy or in sex, but here goes.

I'm on birth control pills, and a lot of the time, they make me skip my period. Every month I get freaked out, because my period doesn't come, and I start thinking I must be pregnant. Other than the obvious taking a pregnancy test every month, are there ways to try to tell the difference between when your birthcontrol is causing skipped periods, and when it's an actual pregnancy? So far I've just been buying pregnancy tests every month, but that's starting to get expensive seeing as every time it turns out just to be my pills. Any other signs I can look for?

If you're taking a pill that makes you skip period, I know there are a few, then get on a one month cycle. It's safer, and healthier. That way you'll always know when you're not pregnant.

Another way to be sure, is don't let him ejaculate into you. that way you won't worry and you can be on the pill you want.

Grizabella February 13th 2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xHolyValorx (Post 47578)
If you're taking a pill that makes you skip period, I know there are a few, then get on a one month cycle. It's safer, and healthier. That way you'll always know when you're not pregnant.

Another way to be sure, is don't let him ejaculate into you. that way you won't worry and you can be on the pill you want.

He never ejaculates in me. But there can be sperm in pre-cum, so that doesn't really matter.

Grizabella February 18th 2009 09:02 PM

Went to the doctor, she said that by three months periods should be very regular, and that I should look into trying a different combination of hormones. Question answered.

Stacey February 18th 2009 09:32 PM

Question Answered, thread closed.