TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   drinking problem (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t149596-drinking-problem/)

Gothic Wolf January 21st 2017 06:20 PM

drinking problem

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to stop drinking, but I need to stop.
I have no motivation to be sober, my life is better when I'm drunk but it needs to stop and I have no idea how.

DeletedAccount24 January 21st 2017 09:31 PM

Re: drinking problem

Hey, there. Thanks for reaching out to us. :) I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty overcoming your alcohol addiction. Have you tried speaking to a friend or family member? Nobody is expected to go through any form of recovery by themselves and the bigger support group you have, the easier it will be to go through. Also, I recommend searching for programs like Alcoholics Anonymous. I don't know what country you're in, but I'm sure there'll be something similar to that where you are. If you're afraid to make the first step, have a trusted friend or family member do it for you. :)

Meanwhile, don't be afraid to use one of the many resources TeenHelp provides, such as the HelpLINK system or LiveHelp. Be sure to pop into chat sometimes when you need a distraction and feel the need to have a drink. You will also expand your social circle that way, because who knows... you might make a new friend!

If you have any questions about alcoholism, you can PM me. I've been struggling with the addiction for a while, but I wouldn't call myself a full-blown alcoholic.

Gothic Wolf January 21st 2017 10:13 PM

I have one friend who knows, she's helping with it.

.Brittany. January 22nd 2017 04:30 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

Having a drinking problem is always difficult to deal with. I have a couple people in my family who are trying to recover and I also have a couple friends too. I tried quitting drinking before but the closest I got was cutting completely down. However, I was never able to stop. I know what it's like when you say that alcohol makes you happier, when it reality, alcohol is a depressant. It's a vicious cycle. You're happy when you're drunk but then you're depressed when you're not, so you drink again. That cycle never stops.

Just like Jenna said, are you able to look to see if you have AA near you? I'm glad that you have a friend who knows about it. I would recommend not cutting it out completely but just slow down. Maybe have some every other night, then a couple times a week, then once a week. Save the money you would spend on alcohol and use it to buy yourself something nice.

I also struggle from a couple addictions, so feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Stay strong,
Brittany

Palmolive January 23rd 2017 08:46 AM

Hi :)

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Teenhelp!

I am an alcoholic and have been for maybe four or five years now. And things got really bad until I made myself physically unwell with alcohol poisoning and I ended up on a psychiatric ward twice for detox.I can honestly say stopping drinking when I was drinking so heavily was one of the hardest things I have ever done but it's been so worth it.

Do you feel you know what has triggered you to begin drinking? I don't know if there is anything but if there is something and you would like to talk about please know that we are always here for you and are always here to listen. We won't judge you or think bad of you for any reason at all. We just care and want to try our best to help and support you through this.

Its good you have a friend who is aware of the issue and is trying to help. That is really positive. And as positive as it is, I am also wondering whether you coulld try and get professional help with with too. Maybe see your GP/Doctor and have a conversation about the drinking and see where you can go from there. I know where I live there and teams and services who support people going through drug and alcohol addictions and I have been in these services and they have helped so it might be worth thinking about. I also attend AA meetings which gives me a space to vent about what is bothering me or to share good and happy things and news but also gives me a chance to listen to others, to support them with my experience and actually, many of them inspire me which helps motivate me. I have had lapses and I am now just over a month alcohol free but I have gone several months and so can you.

Two things I want to share from you which help which can be found in AA books.

The first one being the serenity prayer. I am not religious but it helps me and this is something where you can use a higher power (doesn't have to be god!) and say as you do or do not understand. But it goes like this.

"God, grant me the serenity, to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

Something is else this too. It is called just for today:

"JUST FOR TODAY
Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appal me if I felt I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY
Just for today I will be happy. Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my luck as it comes, and fit myself to it.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will strengthen my mind.
I will study I will learn something useful.
I will not be a mental loafer.
I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will exercise my soul in three ways, I will do someone a good turn, and NOT get found out. If anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I dont want to do just for exercise
I will not show anyone my feelings are hurt, they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will be agreeable, I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticise not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests, hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour sometime, I will try and get a better perspective of my life.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me."

These are not something I have written but are from sources of AA.

I find these helpful and I hope you find some hope in them. Giving up the drink can be really hard but it is possible too. I know people who have died from alcoholism and it is such a progressive disease. please talk to people, including us for help and support.

Just remember you are not alone. Many people love and care about you and will be willing to help and it's okay for you to let them in.

Always here.

Hope and wishes.
Jessie

del677 January 26th 2017 08:00 AM

Addiction is a stress disorder. When you're stressed the rational thinking part of the brain shuts down, allowing the more primitive emotional part to take control. Stress leads to relapse.

Learn ways to mitigate stress. Meditation, yoga, tai-chi, qi-gong.

AA meetings help by surrounding you with people who accept you as you are, because they've been there themselves. This also works on an unconscious level as the unconscious emotional brain feels you are in a safe place surrounded by your tribe.

A little regular exercise can help too.

Developing some sort of spiritual life can greatly help too. Scan for something you can believe in. Shop around for a church. If you're not religious, there are churches for that too. e.g. Unitarian. Or try a Buddhist place (they love meditation which is very healthy for the brain.)

There's also an app called Headspace, which gives good guided meditations.

Work on mitigating stress, and it will become much easier to cease the drinking.

(Oh and please don't drive after drinking. Jail will get you sober, but the stress it causes will make you drink the moment you get out. I know, ironic.)

Gothic Wolf January 27th 2017 09:35 PM

Today I dyed my hair instead of drinking, it looks quite good.

del677 January 29th 2017 09:23 AM

Well done!

There's a YouTube video:

Is Addiction Really a Disease? Dr. Kevin McCauley

which explains the brain and addiction. (Yes it is a disease.)

There are a few other videos by him too. Excellent lecture of recent findings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b2emgrRoT2c