TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Alcoholism in the family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t161491-alcoholism-family/)

Sprite-1 March 29th 2021 09:07 AM

Alcoholism in the family

There is evidence that alcoholism runs in families and Julie and I are worried about our twin, who habitually enjoys a whisky each evening. While there is nothing wrong with an evening tipple, our twin has noticeably increased her alcohol consumption, causing me to confiscate the bottle and put a new padlock on our drinks cabinet. Julie holds the key.

What would be the best step to take to deter my twin from following our late father's alcoholism that caused his death? Do we ask our doctor, which would be the most expedient solution. But I would appreciate advice from you guys first.

Thank you. :)

Sprite-1 March 29th 2021 04:49 PM

Re: Alcoholism in the family

Problem solved! Ted intervened and told her about my experiences with my father, and she never knew that, because I never told her. So she took Ted very seriously he spoke about how worried I am, so she agreed to drink less.

The idea was, and we already know some families who have done this, is enjoy WW. 'Wine and Weekend and Wednesdays' , but the vital importance is not to make drinking a habit at all, lest it worsens.

Ted was told by my twin that she doesn't have anything upsetting her except her 'ex-maman' which OK, we all understand. But it seems that my twin wasn't aware of drinking excessively until she had that awful hangover.

Anyway, Ted was promised and I was later apologised to and given bear hugs, and now my family and me seems happier and much more chilled.

Rivière March 29th 2021 08:23 PM

I'm glad to hear your sister has come to listen to reason! That said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep an eye on her for the time being. Promises and agreements made with words are one part of the deal. Her actions need to show it as well. See how she is for the next month or two and go from there.

And by keeping an eye on her I don't mean constantly bothering her. Just keep an eye out for any changes in behaviour, alcohol missing when you're not around, or bottles subtly being replaced with new ones. It's not intended that you distrust her words, but as her sister, you're showing that you love and care for her by being observant of any concerning behaviour. :)

Sprite-1 March 29th 2021 10:29 PM

When living at the orphanage I learnt to stay under the radar of some of the most notorious tyrants and it was there that I learnt to be observant, so this comes second nature to keep an eye on bottle being replaced, or pencil marked, even topped up because this was what my alcoholic father used to do. I will of course remain non-confrontational because it pays not to irritate my older sister. She speaks of being happy in her new job and being happy at home, so I suspect that she didn't intend going on a bender and that her roaring hangover was a first, according to Julie who of course, knows her sister so well.

Ted said his conversation with my sister remains private, and I respect that. He's a quiet negotiator, and people listen to him. So we have hope. Nevertheless I'll keep an eye on her and the drinks cabinet.

Thank you for your insight and help. :)