TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Marijuana - Physical Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t19298-marijuana-physical-addiction/)

Gidig July 7th 2009 12:40 AM

Marijuana - Physical Addiction

I was speaking to my therapist today, and she mentioned a study that is starting to confirm that there may be physical addiction with marijuana. I'm still googling like mad to find a source or anything of that sort, though it doesn't sound like she was too far off.

If it was physically addictive, would your view of marijuana change? If you smoke marijuana now, would you attempt to stop?

This is not about if it should be legal or not.

TigerTank77 July 7th 2009 01:15 AM

Re: Marijuana - Physical Addiction

Probably not. If it were true, it'd just be added to the long list of things both legal and illegal that are physically addicted.

Marionette. July 7th 2009 01:22 AM

No, probably not.
I don't have an addictive personality, and that isn't me being naive.

It's not a thing I'd do everyday for it to become a regular routine to get addicted to.
If at a point I felt I was going overboard and perhaps getting addicted, then I'd consider stopping.

DeletedAccount84 July 7th 2009 02:29 AM

From my own experience, I don't really believe your therapist. With tobacco, yes, I get that, but pot, no I don't.

I don't think being told that would change anything at the moment, due to how I know how I am with pot. If its there, I'll smoke it, if it's not, its not really an issue, I don't get pot cravings, and if I desire pot, it's a psychological thing, because I'm bored. On numerous occassions, I've gone from smoking a lot daily, to not at all for over a week, or a few weeks.

Even if I did believe that I could potentionally be physically addicted, I don't tink it'd probably effect me that much, as I'm a smoker, unless I saw it causing a significant impact negatively on my life.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU July 7th 2009 03:00 AM

Seeing as how there are piles and piles of evidence showing it likely is a psychological addiction, I'm disinclined to believe your therapist. If it was mixed with tobacco, then that may be more of a possibility.

However, if it turned out that it was physically addictive, then it wouldn't change my view on it. I don't smoke it now, I have not in the past and I don't have plans to smoke it in the future. I would still consider it to be a relatively safe drug to use in comparison to the other legal and illegal drugs. It isn't perfectly safe but I still would not view it as being one of the worst.