TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): Addiction to pain? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t30444-addiction-pain/)

Cassiel November 20th 2009 08:20 AM

Addiction to pain?

Prefix-ed for safety.

Just wanted to drop by and ask if this was a problem ;D

I started self-harming about five years ago, on and off. I don't do it so much now though, just get a slight urge under feelings of great pressure.

I do however, very much enjoy the feelings of pain and find myself picking open scabs (gross, I know), not being overly careful when I shave my legs (If I nick myself I just get all giggly) and running pins and mechanical pencils over my arm to feel slight pain. The sight of any blood sends me into a euphoric state, which of course then dips down until I get a lower mood.

It's nothing serious, I'm not cutting with a knife on purpose like I used to, but I guess it could turn into more of a problem later down the line.

Anywho, opinions appreciated.

KoKoEm November 20th 2009 01:21 PM

Re: Addiction to pain?

Cassiel,
Welcome to TH! =]
Not trying to bring you down, but depending on how you look at it, some will consider that SH, because you are still giving yourself the feeling of pain. Sorry, if that does, I do not mean it to and personally do not consider it like that. I pick scabs because I can't stand scabs in general so I pick them.
Anyways, it is better because you aren't like cutting yourself with a knife so it's less dangerous for you, but there are still bad factors in it.
Uhm, I do think it still could be a problem though because eventually you may want to feel more and more pain until it begins getting out of control.
Personally, I have self-harmed for about five years as well and it was very bad for about three years then almost two years nearly never did anything and then recently everything's building up again and getting worse again. And yes, there is a reason I went into this. Mostly, because I don't want the same thing to happen to you.
If you ever want to talk, let me know. It doesn't have to be serious, but I'm always available to talk with people. =]
Em

Evanescent November 20th 2009 03:30 PM

First I want to say Hi, and welcome to TH :)
Even though the severity of your self-harm has decreased you are still self-harming. And you are right, it could and probably will get more severe down the road. The euphoria with the sight of blood is common in self-harmers, I frequently get the same feeling. I also get the after effect of feeling even worse than before I SHed because I just injured myself. I'm glad that you are reaching out for help. If you ever need anything feel free to PM me, even if you just want to talk.

DeletedAccount63 November 20th 2009 04:04 PM

Like others have said even though its not cutting it is still self-harm and really bad for your body. I would say try and talk to somebody about this and you can always vist the alternative thread.