TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Is alcohol really bad for you? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t5051-alcohol-really-bad-you/)

Hyper Sonic February 15th 2009 09:16 PM

Is alcohol really bad for you?

To anyone studying chemistry please forgive my blatant lie in the title. I am fully aware that R-OH is an alcohol and thus there are thousands of them most of which are in fact extremely toxic.
However, to most people alcohol means an aqueous solution of ethanol :(

Please note I am referring to people old enough to drink and have no medical reason saying they shouldn't drink.

Anyway, back to my question. Is alcohol really that bad for you or is it just that people are idiots? I mean used correctly a drink or two reduces inhibitions and makes people more social which leads to lively talk and a good time. It is people overdoing it that gives it such a bad name but then you can hardly blame alcohol for that - a lot of things are dangerous if misused such as cars, painkillers, irons, electrical sockets even water. Should all of these be banned?

Blackwing February 15th 2009 09:19 PM

Re: Is alcohol really bad for you?

Grown ups can do bad things that aren't good for them I don't think banning is any solution.

udontno February 15th 2009 09:21 PM

I think banning alcohol would just make them want it more. People would find illegal ways to get some.

Bibliophile February 15th 2009 09:22 PM

Everything in the world is dangerous,you could risk assess everything.There's a risk in everything.So lets not ban air just yet. :p
A glass of red wine is proven to be good for you [Or something,I'll check this tomorrow.].
It depends on how much you drink,and the space of time.Clearly,if you misuse it then it is dangerous.But you can't ban it because not everyone will misuse it.
blahblahblah.
:bleh:

Confused1isin February 15th 2009 09:45 PM

I personally am Straight Edge, and will never drink. But to ban alcohol would only make people want it more. If people cant buy it, they'll make it and sell it, which is more dangerous, cause who knows what the proof is, how clean the equipment was, or what all might be in it. I think if people would use their brains, alcohol wouldn't be such a big deal.

R.K. February 15th 2009 09:52 PM

Alcohol is actually good for you in very mild dosses, not constantly getting pissed or abusing it like many do.

http://eating.health.com/2008/01/30/is-alcohol-really-good-for-you/
Haven't checked the credibility yet, but looks interesting.

Marionette. February 15th 2009 09:54 PM

Like Marie said, nowadays, everything is bad for you.

Banning alcohol won't stop anything. Drugs are banned yet it's available pretty much everywhere.

There are so many things in the world that are worse than alcohol.
In my opinion, a few drinks now and then won't cause that much damage.
It is the 'idiots' who use it in the wrong way, driving under the influence, spiking drinks etc, that make it seem like such a big deal.

Many people have a good time without being completely plastered. It's the misconception that loads of alcohol = a good time.

Gingerbread Latte February 15th 2009 09:57 PM

I think in small amounts it's perfectly fine. The danger starts when people abuse it and drink everyday or drink too much in one night.
Didn't doctors used to recommend a glass of wine each day?

molliegym February 15th 2009 09:58 PM

I'm also straight edge. Personally, I don't like the taste of alcohol. And I also know that it's very, very easy for most people to drink too much, and I know what can happen when you drink too much.

Banning alcohol would do no good. Alcohol is fine in moderation, but a lot of people have trouble with the "moderation" part.

_Christ lover- February 15th 2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udontno (Post 50715)
I think banning alcohol would just make them want it more. People would find illegal ways to get some.

yeah that's been tried before and didn't work so.

InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU February 15th 2009 10:34 PM

Alcohol (as in ethanol) is the same as other drugs, both illegal, prescription and over-the-counter: use it properly without overdosing and it can be healthy. However, chronic alcoholism can cause a variety of disorders. Also, ethanol affects some liver enzymes, so if you drink alcohol, those enzymes "work" more (to put it in simple terms). However, if you take something else that needs those same enzymes, it won't work at the normal dosage based on your age, weight and gender. Those can be corrected for by giving more.

So, chronic alcoholism is bad. Taking too much can be bad, but taking only a bit from time-to-time can be healthy.

You cant fairly compare banning cars versus banning alcohol. Yes both are dangerous if misused or too much (drive too much, fall asleep and die/crash). But, taking a bit for a long time is bad if it's alcohol, NOT if it's car, irons, etc... . There's the difference.