TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Alcohol - Is this legal? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t65034-alcohol-legal/)

fullofsecrets January 22nd 2011 03:17 AM

Alcohol - Is this legal?

So my roommates are 24 and 22 and they bring alcohol into the apartment and get drunk even though I'm only 19. (I live in the US so alcohol under 21 is illegal.) I've asked them to stop or take the party elsewhere but they refuse. I have to get up for work in the morning but they just will not stop. I want to call the apartment courtesy officer but I'm worried that if I call and they see the alcohol they'll get arrested because I'm a minor.

Does anyone know if having alcohol in the same apartment as a minor is an illegal offense?

**I should also mention my apartment complex has a no alcohol policy.

Ngikhona January 22nd 2011 03:23 AM

Re: Alcohol - Is this legal?

Well, you're not actually a minor, yo'ure just under drinking age. They could get in trouble if you've been drinking, but if you haven't been drinking then I don't think you have anything to worry about and I don't think they can just be arrested for drinking around people underage when parents definitely don't get arrested for having wine at dinner or something when their kids are present.

Pelios January 22nd 2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullofsecrets (Post 566704)
Does anyone know if having alcohol in the same apartment as a minor is an illegal offense?

Is it illegal for parents to have beer in the fridge when their kids are home?
It’s not illegal and the police could probably not prove you had any alcohol so I wouldn’t worry too much about it, if you want to call the cops on them do it but I don’t really see why they would be arrested.

fullofsecrets January 22nd 2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

[Edited by Aesthetic: Post has been deleted.]
I moved in with them because they told me they did not drink at all. They told me later they lied about that (they told me they didn't drink/party) so that they would get a roommate that wouldn't annoy them with parties or drink their alcohol.

i_am_waves January 22nd 2011 03:57 AM

You won't get arrested; it's legal for them to keep it in the apartment even though you're there, as long as you aren't drinking.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! January 22nd 2011 04:31 AM

Since your apartment has a no alcohol policy, it's illegal no matter what their age. By illegal I mean breach of contract, so you may want to look over the contract as it may say the likely consequences. Outside of your apartment, you're legally an adult not a minor so you'd be considered underage but not a minor, so if you don't drink, it's fine.

Scotty January 22nd 2011 07:53 AM

Look right. its not illegal to drink under 21, its simply illegal to purchase alcohol under 21. a person could legaly drink and be under 21 or have people drink around them. anybody doubts this statement look up drinking laws that shits crazy :)

Ella.x January 22nd 2011 10:10 AM

I would say that it's not illegal for them to drink around you. However, since your apartment complex has a no alcohol policy, I would tell your landlord. they sound like complete losers for lying to you about it, if they're going to break the terms of their contract, then they need to be ready for the consequences.

her_beautiful_mistake January 22nd 2011 12:15 PM

I'd think carefully before calling the cops on your flatmates, remember you still have to live there and they're likely to be incredibly unimpressed by that!

MegaMadness January 22nd 2011 02:00 PM

It's not illegal though it is against the conditions of living in the apartment. You can either ignore them or report them to the land lordor whatever you call them over there, but keep in mind if you do it might cause trouble between you and them.