TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   I don't drink alcohol (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t81643-i-dont-drink-alcohol/)

chickenonsteroids August 13th 2011 12:37 AM

I don't drink alcohol

hello,

I wasn't all to sure where to put this so feel free to move it

I'm not sure whether it is weird that I don't drink alcohol because it is SUCH a common thing now a days.

I don't drink because I've never liked it and don't see the point in it really. also I'd hate to ever be out of control of my body to a stage where like I'm staggering everywhere,

I'm not sure how common it is to others but I'm in Essex and I can say confidently that over 90% of my friends drink.

Daivia August 13th 2011 12:53 AM

Re: I don't drink alcohol

I don't drink alcohol mostly because its illegal for me to drink it at my age, but also because I don't like the taste. I've tasted wine, beer, cider, hard lemonade, mimosas, etc, and they all taste pretty gross to me.

Most of my friends don't drink (United States) because they are also underage.

daisyduck August 13th 2011 12:56 AM

I'm in the same boat. All my friends drink. My ex used to call me at 3 am drunk.
I agree, i don't really see the point in it. Why waste the brain cells.
Although i can't drink anyway due to epilepsy and meds. I guess that gives me a reason... but still. My dad drinks in excess, so it upsets me a bit too. And i'm underage.

Snufkin August 13th 2011 01:02 AM

I didn't really bother with drink til I was 18. I wanted to wait until I wanted to try it, as opposed to feeling pressured into it because all my friends did. I don't get much from drinking, I don't enjoy getting drunk, but a nice casual Southern Comfort with lemonade can be welcome. Drink if you want to - don't drink if it's a decision made for you by others.

Everglow. August 13th 2011 01:02 PM

Hey there,

I think it's perfectly okay for you to not want to drink alcohol. Lots of people do drink, but you not wanting to is fine too! It shouldn't be about whether your friends drink or not, if you don't want to, don't feel pressurised into doing to too. I'm not a heavy drinker. I will have a little bit of something on occasion, but never have I been drunk, and I don't really plan in it either. Like you, I don't like the fact I wouldn't have control of my own body, and also there's much more of a chance of being embarrassed in some way. It's fine if that's not what you want and your friends do want, and it's not at all weird, so don't worry!

Take care,
Hollie.

dr2005 August 13th 2011 02:10 PM

As everyone else has said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not drinking alcohol and you should feel no pressure to do so if you don't want to. I will hold my hand up and say my experiences with alcohol started much earlier than I'd care to admit, but at the same time I don't drink heavily and a couple of drinks once a week (if that) will do for me just fine. There are also the health issues with excess alcohol consumption to take into account, plus legal restrictions on what age you can drink in public, so there are a lot of things to think about before deciding whether you want to drink or not. You can have just as much fun without alcohol if you're with the right people, so if you don't want to drink then don't feel as if you have to. :)

chook14 August 13th 2011 03:41 PM

Good on you for not drinking! I think that's awesome! I started drinking before it was legal, and while I still drink when I go out, I wish I hadn't started so young. It can be really damaging, and looking back, it really wasn't necessary. I think you've made a good decision :)

WhisperingSilence August 14th 2011 06:31 PM

I'm also from Essex (UK) . I would say in Essex there is a-lot of pressure to drink alcohol - Also most shops near me never ID. So it is pretty easy to buy. If you don't want to drink its fine. But Don't let people pressure you into drinking, Simply tell them something such as ' If you want to drink, You can. But I'm fine with my lemonade/ coke/juice . ' I do drink, but its simply down to choice.

Stargazed. August 14th 2011 07:55 PM

I think it's great that you don't drink alcohol. Never let peer pressure do you in.

armonia- August 16th 2011 06:09 AM

I do drink but very rarely. I live in a country where alcohol isn't sold and Im not exactly the most popular person so Im never invited to those "cool" parties where they have bottles of vodka and whiskey so thats why my alcohol consumption is rare.
But I dont think drinking alcohol should be a must for everyone, if you want to, you can drink but if you dont want to, you dont have to. Theres nothing wrong with it.