TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Triggering (SH): Parents about to find out (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t134234-parents-about-find-out/)

torment November 14th 2014 03:43 AM

Parents about to find out

Depressed. Self-harming. Last week came close to killing myself (not from the self-harm). I’ve managed to stop cutting twice, but when they fade the urge just gets much stronger and I give in. They’re getting deeper. I reluctantly agreed to letting my parents know about the self-harm, by now the psychologist I’ve been seeing has probably called my dad. I’m scared. Not about what they’ll say or do, but how they’ll see me from now on. I feel like they’ll never look at me the same, treat me like a child etc. I’ve never felt more vulnerable or exposed in my life. I’m wondering what others’ experiences were like, how their parents reacted and treated them. I feel so ashamed and pathetic it hurts.

hocus pocus November 14th 2014 03:59 AM

Re: Parents about to find out

Hi there!

My parents were very quiet at first, I think they were in shock and they did honestly seem a little bit angry. However, I realized later on that they were angry at the situation I was in and not at me. My parents have only known the full picture just recently and now that they know everything they are much more supportive and patient with me; however, I don't choose to confide in them that much but rather in other people instead. My parents still treat me the same and they still see me the same as I am one of their own and they love me despite what I have been through.

With that being said I am glad that you've decided to tell your parents about this. It shows how courageous that you are. Every individual reacts a little bit differently and they may need some time to register this. Communication is key, and I suggest communicating with them. It may help if you show them some articles about self-harm so they're able to educate themselves a little bit. Also, I think you could bring your parents into one of your sessions so you and your psychologist can talk to them. You can definitely lean on your psychologist if you decide to do this. When people find out about self-harm it can understandably come with feelings of vulnerability but this is something that will likely diminish eventually as you become accustomed to the idea of your parents (or whoever) being aware. It should improve with increased exposure.

Good luck!

DeletedAccount69 November 14th 2014 06:18 AM

Re: Parents about to find out

Hey there,

When my parents realized how bad I was self harming I think they felt helpless. They knew I was struggling with something but no matter what they did there was nothing they could do to help me. They made me go to therapy and they eventually had me get a psychiatrist. They didn't treat me any differently. I was still their daughter and they still loved me the same. They wanted me to overcome the self harm and there was a part of them that didn't understand that I couldn't just stop but they never once yelled at me or got angry that I was doing that to myself.

I hope you know how brave it is that you are willing to confide in your parents about this. I hope that they will be able to support you through this. It's great that you have a psychologist but having a family to back you up can be a lot of help as well. I know my families support has helped me immensely. There are times that their support helped to keep me strong when I didn't want to.

You have to remember that you are loved and you can make it through this.

I hope that everything runs smoothly and if you need anything please feel free to message me.